Proto-board usage recommendation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jasper, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jasper

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I have a couple of boards that have a "plane" on one side. Am I to assume it is always for ground? Can I put anything I want there or might that cause interference? I would prefer to put Vcc there actually for my little use case. Sound ok?

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Boards have a ground plane because it helps to reduce RF emissions, and because practically everything on a circuit board will need at least one connection to ground (IC's that is.) You're much better off to keep using that side for a ground, and running Vcc elsewhere. Use bypass capacitors at each IC to keep noise under control.

3. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    What kind of board is it? Is it a solderless breadboard? Or is it a board for etching?

4. jasper

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    It is the kind with plated holes, spaced on one side and separated by one potential solder blob from a full plane on the back side. Ground it is. Bypass caps should be somewhere around what values? Thanks.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It's typical to use 0.1uF tantalum or ceramic capacitors to bypass the Vcc (and Vdd, if not ground) pins. Consult your IC's datasheets for specific recommendations.

6. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    You should have convenient power rails on that. Do you have a link to it and how much did it cost? I'm always looking for cheaper ones.