Protel and Windows Vista

jagjit Sehra

Joined Feb 29, 2008
Hi Folks,
Bit of a long shot but someone may have had the same problem, I am using an old version of Protel (Protel 99 se) to design a PCB on Windows Vista. However Windows Vista doesn’t allow me to add libraries, there’s no problem on any other version of Windows e.g. XP or 2000.
I had a look on the Web and turned the User Access Control OFF and I have adminstrator rights on the PC still no luck. When I try to add a library a dialog box appears which file unrecognised. I have turned all the security of the files aswell. Someone may have the same problem but with different software. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jag.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Try installing Protel into some directory that Vista allows writing to-- not Program Files or Documents and Settings (or other windows specific directories)

Other than that I am not sure what else can be done.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Through disabling UAC, that would remove the elevation prompts for writing to the Program Files directory. The Users directory (formerly Documents and Settings) does not require privilege elevation to write to.

Given that that Protel 99SE very much predates Vista (and XP for that matter) might I suggest that you reinstall it in compatibility mode for Windows XP or even 2000. This may necessitate that you install elsewhere other than Program Files as suggested by nanovate above.

Dave

dlabriola

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Protel 99 SE rev 6 appears to be working under Vista.
I installed under c:\protel. Under properties, I then took control of the directory with full rights. (explore, single click, right click => properties => security => edit => select user => edit => full control => ok, then owner, select, OK

I'm not sure if I needed to change the owner, but with the library work around below - so far so good.

The libraries are not able to be loaded under libraries, but you can open them from the main File tab (as you would your board.ddb). The libraries open in their own window, but you can browse and then use the PLACE button and it will automatically place into the open .pcb file (or schematic if working with a sch library). May not be quite as nice as the library under win XP, but fully workable.

Thought I'd share!

Don

Tri Sakti

Joined Oct 4, 2012
Protel 99SE Vs. Windows 7 Ultimate, Just for sharing,
The problem = Dead audio (Sound Card drivers Stopped Working).
The solution = Please Re-Install again your Protel 99SE in the Save Mode of Windows 7
----> Restart = Ok,
Thanks to God
( From Kediri - Indonesia with Love)
Good luck