Protection devices for home cordless phone

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by P75052, Jan 22, 2013.

1. P75052

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Hi, I am looking for protection schemes that are used at the terminals of home cordless phone to protect the handset/base from ESD or power glitch when the handset is mated to the base for charging.
    I have a project that consists of a handheld device with Li-Ion battery, and a base that has two terminals to charge the handset - very similar to a home cordless phone. When I put the handset to the base, I saw spike on power rails that sometimes crash the CPUs on both handset and base units. The power used between the two units is regulated 5VDC, and I have a TVS on 5V line, but it does not seem to help. I also added a 6.3V zener across the terminals, that does not help either.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    P75052

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You mean a spike in voltage above the regulated 5V? Or a spike down? What else is in the handset load besides the battery?

3. P75052

Aug 31, 2012
    The spikes are on all sub voltages - 3.3V, 1.8V and 1.2V with both positive +7V above and negative -6V below the normal voltage. In the handset there are two micro controller with associate circuitry.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I think you need to give a schematic of your regulation circuitry. One of the power supply experts around here will likely have some good ideas for preventing those spikes.

5. P75052

Aug 31, 2012
    I will try to create a simplified schematic, due to the proprietary information. But attached is the high level overview of the system. What I observed is even with a floating 24" wire lead that I carry around touches the ground of the base is enough to generate spikes on the rails on the base. I incline to say it is ESD because it does not happen all the time; only when I pick up the handheld, carry it around and put back to base, then it happen. I can sit there, remove it from base, and then put it back and no spikes observed.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    My cats suffer a similar problem this time of year. ;)

7. P75052

Aug 31, 2012
    Wayne,
    Do you know of what they normally use at the terminal of a handheld device to protect it? All TVS vendors say "Use ours" but I don't see any proof the device works. I saw a design that has inductors in series with the terminals; unfortunately, due to the layout I can not break the trace to insert the inductors (5V and Gnd are directly connected to plane or embedded).