***Protection Circuit - watch dog circuit (hardware) ***

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
hi all I was wondering if you could give advice for some ideas for a "watch dog circuit" (not watchdog timer) hardware wise the purpose of this is that it will stop all outputs of a circuit if the micro controller turns off, if you could provide any hints and or tips of topologies I should look at that would be appreciated
Kind Regards
J

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
can you share a schematic?
Are all these outputs coming from the micro anyways.. So wouldn't it "stop outputting" when its off anyways?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
can you share a schematic?
Are all these outputs coming from the micro anyways.. So wouldn't it "stop outputting" when its off anyways?
hi sorry so basically this circuit will be controlling Contactors which will be connector to this circuit, what I would like to do is add protection so that if the microcontroller suddenly turns of the contactors also do likewise.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Make the contactors active only when a micro output is high.
If micro goes off, outputs go low, contactors go in-active.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
why would you need an AND gate when the micro alone can do this ?
This is a fail safe in case the micro just stops functioning, perhaps I'm not phrasing it correctly this is what I'm after:
Design a simple hardware watchdog circuit that will drop out contactors/HVIL safety loop when the microprocessor stops working.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Micro processors has a feature called "watch dog timer" specially for this reason and more.

What makes you think an AND gate will help ?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Micro processors has a feature called "watch dog timer" specially for this reason and more.

What makes you think an AND gate will help ?
In retrospect the AND gate would have been pointless, from the design brief I'm working from it mentions watchdog hardware is this seperate to a watchdog timer or the same thing? I am new to electronic design, I saw the feature but assumed that this was a software feature.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you can't upload the schematic then you can draw a block diagram to show what you trying to do and draw more clearly at that output parts that you want to control.

>if the micro controller turns off
What does the meaning of turns off, could you define it clearly?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Like some have previously mentioned, why not use a output active High to control a relay which will drop out when the micro drops out of run?
This relay would simply control/switch the coil voltage supply off on the contactors on micro fail?
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I was wondering if you could give advice for some ideas for a "watch dog circuit" (not watchdog timer) hardware
Normally a "watchdog timer" is used for that purpose since it indicates that the micro has stopped working normally.
Monitoring a static output does not insure that you will detect a micro that gets hung. :eek:
Why do you not want to use a timer?