Protecting PCB from corrosion and oxidation

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
This is what I have used

ACL 8690

Not much feedback other than I have not had a problem with the very few prototype boards I have done with it. What IS nice is it is very clear, so you can apply and still see destructive failures and may have a chance of removing the coating for a repair.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I suggest that wax, including altar candle wax, is not a good substitute candidate for conformal coat, as if the board has an overheat-type failure, the wax may vaporize and act as a source of fuel for a fire.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I suggest that wax, including altar candle wax, is not a good substitute candidate for conformal coat, as if the board has an overheat-type failure, the wax may vaporize and act as a source of fuel for a fire.
But since it was from an 'altar candle', wouldn't that be OK? A sacrifice to the circuit gods?

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
+1

Had a prototype someone thought would be best to seal with wax. Ended up with oil soaking up boxes and the wax flaking off. I'd think about spray paint before I jacked around with wax.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
+1

Had a prototype someone thought would be best to seal with wax. Ended up with oil soaking up boxes and the wax flaking off. I'd think about spray paint before I jacked around with wax.
Mine was a prototype that I anticipated needing to modify, probably several times.

As it turned out, the project worked first time, the biggest downside of using wax was that I didn't have suitable means to degrease the assembly.

The original was cobbled together on a strip of sheet aluminium heatsink from a scrap PC monitor, so it wasn't exactly tailored to fit the space next to the coil - that was my excuse to build again shaped to fit, and without any wax on it I was able to use a spray coating.

Unfortunately, the stuff I bought from Maplin didn't work as well as the wax!