pros and cons of digital filters

Mahsoub

Joined Jun 8, 2011
I am interested first in a simple comparison of analog & digital filters in general as to frequency response , hardware requirements, delay, limitations of both filters,....etc, and in general their pros and cons. I am much obliged if anyone can help me with this comparison or guide me to sources of such matter but rather simple concise ones not the mathematical theory. Second I would like an emphasis on digital filters as regards to their limitations and drawbacks in particular.
Regards and many thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is there something in particular you are curious about? The reason I ask is that understanding what is going on without groking the mathematics is just about impossible.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I am interested first in a simple comparison of analog & digital filters in general as to frequency response , hardware requirements, delay, limitations of both filters,....etc, and in general their pros and cons. I am much obliged if anyone can help me with this comparison or guide me to sources of such matter but rather simple concise ones not the mathematical theory. Second I would like an emphasis on digital filters as regards to their limitations and drawbacks in particular.
Regards and many thanks
Digital filters are generally more reproducible and can be made a lot more complex than conventional filters. Silicon is always cheaper than copper! However, there are a few places where analog filters will be around a long time. One is in UHF and microwave applications. Another is in high powered R.F. applications. It's unlikely any digital filter will replace a 100KW lowpass filter. :)

Eric

Mahsoub

Joined Jun 8, 2011
Is there something in particular you are curious about? The reason I ask is that understanding what is going on without groking the mathematics is just about impossible.
I am more interested in digital filters limitations and drawbacks.
Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am more interested in digital filters limitations and drawbacks.
Thanks
I already mentioned that they can't be used for the anti-alias function.
They are limited to low frequencies by the need to use very high sampling rates for very high frequencies.
The can produce outputs when there is no input.
Doing bandpass and notch functions is more difficult than with analog filters

Is that enough?

Mahsoub

Joined Jun 8, 2011
I already mentioned that they can't be used for the anti-alias function.
They are limited to low frequencies by the need to use very high sampling rates for very high frequencies.
The can produce outputs when there is no input.
Doing bandpass and notch functions is more difficult than with analog filters

Is that enough?
Thanks for your reply.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
frequency conversion can get the signals down to where they can be digitized with minimum problems. after digitizing, use math functions to simulate any kind of filter you want. then D/A to get the output.

Mahsoub

Joined Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for your comments. One thing I forgot to ask, is what are the points that I should consider when comparing the two filters? I know of linearity, phase response, steepness between cut and pass ranges. If you can, please suggest others.
Thanks.