Proportional Controller on a PIC16F9690

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by NzoBoss, Jun 2, 2010.

1. NzoBoss

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello fellow EE Brothers,

I'm trying to code a very simple proportional controller for the first steps of my internship.

I'm acquiring an analog continuous signal let's say with voltage between 0 and 5V. I do it through AN0... and then I want to generate a PWM... my problem is that I don't know how to translate the output of the DAC into PWM multiplied by the proportional factor.

Here's my code, I'm using the CC5X free compiler:

In the code, I've mentioned were I'm stuck... any help or input would be much appreciated !! :)

Nzo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    I'm relatively new to C programming myself, but the trick is to think like a compiler or computer. Run through the code and see what the compiler would do. Also, does your free compiler have a simulator? I know that MPLAB does.

3. NzoBoss

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello electronerd, yes I'm using MPLAB too... I did not know there were simulators... that's good to know. CC5X is just to compile from C code to the pic... and is called automatically from MPLAB.

My problem is how to go from ADRESH the output of the Analog-To-Digital converter... to the PWM... I want ADRESH * P(some gain) = PWM Output on P1A.. Does anyone know how to do this ?

4. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    Is it possible that you mean the PIC16F690? I don't think the PIC16F9690 exists.

Assuming it's the PIC16F690, what have you found in section 11.0 of the user manual?

5. NzoBoss

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello John, yes you're right it's the PIC16F690.. I've looked at section 11 on the enhenced PWM but still I not able to figure out how to output the results of the DAC i.e. ADRESH through PWM... ? Anyone ?

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    All right, now go down to section 11.3.7, "SETUP FOR PWM OPERATION". What are you seeing there?