Proper way to attach external wires to PCB?

defcon5

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Recently I've come up with a little doo-dad that I've been building as "kits" for others - the idea being to simplify installation as much as possible. Up until now, the build was very basic: assembled on perfboard and external signal wiring simply soldered directly to component pins. The circuit was really simple so the low-tech assembly method worked fine.

I just added some new features and the circuit became more complex. Additionally, installation now requires the end user to wire their car into my doo-dad. As a result, I'm thinking of having PCBs made up to ease construction, foolproof installation, and to lend a little more polish to the product.

If I go with PCBs, I'm certain that wiring directly to the components isn't the ideal way to go. So, what is? I've used PC mount wiring terminals like THESE before, but are they the way to go when making up "real" PCBs?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Those type terminals are a good way to go; as long as the end user takes the time to properly tin the wires that go into it, trim the insulation to the proper length, and the board is relatively protected.

Remember, automotive environments can be brutal, particularly if under the hood (bonnet for you UK and Aussie types). If your application is not inside the passenger compartment or trunk (boot, again for you UK'ers and Aussies) then you will need more environmentally protective connectors. Heat, moisture and corrosion are not your friends.