Prom

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I kinda like highschool.
No responsibilities other than homework, which sucks one week out of 9 (procrastination), and all I do is mess around with electronics or hang out with friends. I'm coasting along in the top ten of my class and enjoying it, and my chem teacher has taken to giving me stuff the school no longer needs (like power supplies). He also provides chemicals every now and then. Benefits of going to a dinky little school.
My high school wasn't too bad. My teachers were (mostly) friendly and enjoyed helping the students. My calc teacher was one of the best. When I first met her she scared the heck out of me, but once I got to know her, she had a great sense of humor. She was also really good at teaching. My school was voted one of the best in Vermont, and one of the oldest secondary schools in the country, I think. Maybe it was just the state--I can't remember. Anyway, the setting was nice (top of a hill with a great view of the green mountains) and I got a good education there. Yeah, there were a few drunks and druggies out there, but not too bad overall.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
You are in the most girl rich environment you will ever be, all single, all at the prime of their beauty. Enjoy yourself while you can, it will never get better than this. <sigh>
Bill, you've got to know that virtually every woman around the age of 40-45 wants to take a another stab at seeing if thier prince charming isn't really out there (being single isn't a qualifier). Those years where the best for me, and if you keep in shape and socialize, you'll be sought out well into your senior years.

Kids here do prom to the tilt. Full dress, limo's, party hard. Good on them, they've deserved it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
My friends avoid the alcohol, and I guess things have changed, no one did anything even slightly illegal at our prom. Nor the party I went to afterward, but that's probably just my friends, I know plenty that smoke and drink.

Apparently it's harder to get away with that stuff, so anyone who values their education avoids it. I've heard of too kids getting expelled for harmless pranks or unintentional stuff, like the eagle scout who got expelled his senior year because they found a butter knife in the bed of his truck from helping his grandmother move. Or the kids who all got expelled because they brought a couple chickens to school. I actually know of a kid who got expelled because he punched a kid in the face for picking on his little brother.
Yet the kids who have drugs found in their lockers always come to school the next day. Seriously, I can tell you in 30 seconds of walking into school at lest 5 kids who are high, but nothing ever happens to them, they just drop out or they graduate.

Our school actually started "random" (not at all) drug testing, but only for people in extra curricular activities, like academic super bowl or cross country, they don't test the losers who get wasted every weekend, and somehow our school quarter back with 2 dui's and drinks all the time and couldn't care less about his grades is still the school hero and has never been tested, while my friends who get straight A's and go to party's where we do things like play pokemon and twister and are part of the 5% of the school that goes to church have been tested like 3 times. Or if anyone makes a coach mad the get tested the next day.
I swear they just test the kids they know will test negative so the school looks good.

In short, the druggies are having fun knowing nothing will happen to them, while the honors students are scared of their own damn shadows. And then the administration wonders why we don't like them. I'm cutting this off here because I'm about to start cussing profusely.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
My high school was really strict about that sort of thing. They made it very clear that if they caught anyone drunk, drinking, high, etc., they WOULD NOT GRADUATE. They even set up roadblocks on the roads going to and from the inn where the prom took place, to test students coming and going for drugs or alcohol use. They were very tough when it came to substance abuse.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, there is the ticket. Destroy their lives because prohibition is alive and well. My brother coming home drunk was the 70's by the way, where DWI was barely considered a crime at the time.

Ever consider the draconian (and in many cases, unreasonable) reaction of schools to infractions not under their control or preview (the after prom parties) is a major part of the problem in the USA? People get expelled over scissors or pocket knives, when I grew up pocket knives were tools, nothing more. No one tried to stab each other with them. Bringing guns in the back of pickup truck windows just meant you were a hunter, as Combine was several decades away and this was small town.

As for not graduating, I doubt that. Perhaps a student doesn't get to attend graduation, but if they have the points and the degrees are withheld I smell major law suite, and the school would loose. This is partly why homeschooling has taken off so well.

Personally I don't like where our society has gone. Those who would give up freedoms for safety and security will get neither. When political correctness has become law, tyranny of the many has become the norm. An Orwellian society isn't far behind.

Of course, I live in Texas, where stand your ground is law. Some one breaks into my home, I am allowed to defend it with lethal force. I am allowed to defend my neighbors home with lethal force. I remember hearing about more than one case in the eastern USA where you are not allowed by law to confront a home invader. There was one silly case (I hope it isn't true, but suspect it is) where a Judge stepped in and shut down a case from a DA where a apartment dweller decided jumping out of a second or third story window was unacceptable and killed the person banging down his front door in Massachusetts.

Basically what I am saying is if you have graduated you now are active in politics, like it or not. Think about the kind of society you want to live in. Should a kid be suspended by making a gun out of his fist and saying "bang"? Are scissors and butter knives lethal weapons? I've had 14 years of martial arts training, in theory I am a lethal weapon. The bureaucracy is winning, to all our detriments.

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
What we do here in my town is have "Project Graduation". It's strictly voluntary, any student that wants to can come to the Civic Center. The students sign in, usually with a parent present, and cannot leave untill 7am.
All night long they have a DJ, rides, inflatable Sumo Suits, card games,etc..

All the restaurants in town donate free food, most of the merchants donate prizes,and the Ford dealer in town usually donates a used car. When the students win the games they get "Grad Dollars" and at the end of the night if they haven't won anything they can use the dollars to buy stuff.
So, basically they party all night, eat what they want, come home with a dvd player or whatever else they chose.
If a student wants to leave, a parent must come and sign them out. Again, it's all strictly voluntary and we usually have a pretty good size crowd. We're having this years Project Graduation this Friday night. On a side note, we haven't had a traffic fatality, on graduation night, involving a kid since this started 15 or so years ago.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You guys keep surprising me with all those details about juvenile delinquency in the States.
What keeps local, state and governemental authorities from taking actions against it? What do they have to gain from it.

I mean, in my neighbourhood, there is a street, couple of blocks long, that is filled to the brim with junkies, adults mostly. But I know that police has their deal with the dealers and everyone is happy. But dealing to kids? And school, of all the public services should be concerned about its students. Maybe schools should be run by teachers instead of managers, like here.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
This system is a mess,they have areas where they have murders all the time
no one will talk because they know each other,more to come, more questions.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Prom is the night to blow off steam, historically. Most kids get through it with a hickey and a night they will never forget. In my part of the country there was a contest between the students and teachers about spiking the punch. Nowdays the tolerance is gone, but even so small towns with their own ISDs (Independent School Districts) show enormously greater amounts of common sense, since the school staff have to live with these people.

The drug problem is something else (not to be confused with underage drinking). We had it when I was a kid at my school. As far as I know dealing didn't happen at school, but there were always a few students whose lives were not going to end well. Durn if I have the answers to that.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Well, when I was very young (1-2 years old), I supposedly had a bright red spike of hair. It's turned to a sort of light brown, but I'm still quite pale. I guess I could say I'm one of you as well :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My prime time for women was in college. Couldn't invite one to band practice without them trying to get me in bed. Something about being out from under their parents gaze and away from the high school guys that they had known since childhood, almost like brothers. I worked for 6 years b4 going to college, so I was no longer an awkward nerd. 23 looks a lot better than 17! The problem is that 17 looks a lot worse than 23. Teenage girls didn't look good to me when I was 23.

Anyway, that's when they were available. If you can stand teeny-boppers, go to college.