Prom

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
*yawn*

*blink blink

Well, that was fun, took the SAT @8AM, then it was pretty much nonstop party from 3PM-3AM... or 3PM-6AM, depending on if you crashed at the party or not. Followed by church this morning and then filming an English project.

It was also the first techno-rave prom I've ever heard of occurring, fun stuff. Especially when the city is mostly one way streets, and there's road construction... at midnight... in the ghetto... in the fog.

Anyway, am I the only one on here in high school in America?
Do any other countries have prom?

I think I might go take a nap...

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Here in Greece, only in small towns, where students can go out and about on their own, do the last classes of highschool organise prom-like parties.

The main purpose, however, is to raise money for the 5-day trip that will take place in May, in the last year of high-school. As a result, there can be 3 to 6 "proms" every year, depending on how well-organised the school student board is.

The main event IS the trip and all hell breaks loose there. It usually takes place at an island, most of the times Crete or Rhodes. What happens there is pretty much what englishmen do when they come to greek islands. Unhealthy stuff.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
*yawn
I love 4 hour naps

Anyway, they can't go out on their own in big cities?
We live in a small town with nothing to do, so we always drive 20 minuets to the second biggest city in the state, and then we run around there, always by ourselves.

About the dances, is it the kind where everyone goes all-out and dresses super fancy and goes to eat and the girls spend all day before it getting ready, or are they just school-hosted dances?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I attended highschool in a small town of 7000 souls. "Proms" where held in local clubs after arrangements with the owners. Usually they would take a 30-40% of the tickets that they would cut. The entry fee would be at about 7-10 euros and anyone could enter.

The dress code was typical club-wear. The exception would be the last prom of the final year, which would be held at a recreation hall, the kind of place where you book after weddings and baptism. Parents would attend that prom and would take part in a lottery. The final big cash injection of the school trip was given there. The wear was more formal that club-wear, but still miles away from a tux. Girls could put a dress but I 've never seen one wear a gown.

I don't have first-hand experience, but my guess is that in the capital and the next-biggest city Thessaloniki (Salonica), it's a bit dangerous for underage students to venture in the middle of the night and meet in a club that could be miles away from their home. As a result, funds for the school trip are found elsewhere.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You are in the most girl rich environment you will ever be, all single, all at the prime of their beauty. Enjoy yourself while you can, it will never get better than this. <sigh>

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
You are in the most girl rich environment you will ever be, all single, all at the prime of their beauty. Enjoy yourself while you can, it will never get better than this. <sigh>
Ha, more like 10% single and not looking for a pale red head into electricity :p
But yea, I know what you're saying...
*sigh

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I attended highschool in a small town of 7000 souls. "Proms" where held in local clubs after arrangements with the owners. Usually they would take a 30-40% of the tickets that they would cut. The entry fee would be at about 7-10 euros and anyone could enter.

The dress code was typical club-wear. The exception would be the last prom of the final year, which would be held at a recreation hall, the kind of place where you book after weddings and baptism. Parents would attend that prom and would take part in a lottery. The final big cash injection of the school trip was given there. The wear was more formal that club-wear, but still miles away from a tux. Girls could put a dress but I 've never seen one wear a gown.

I don't have first-hand experience, but my guess is that in the capital and the next-biggest city Thessaloniki (Salonica), it's a bit dangerous for underage students to venture in the middle of the night and meet in a club that could be miles away from their home. As a result, funds for the school trip are found elsewhere.
Interesting, we go all out, suit or tux and the girls all get nice dresses, it's fun, like one night to act fancy for a bit, before throwing formality out the window and partying. Even though my group of friends is fairly conservative when it comes to partying...

And it sounds like your towns about the same size as mine, our high school has about 400 kids.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
As far as the 'girl' situation goes, be patient. The women want to party with what they think are the 'good' ones. Sometime in their late twenties they discover just how much 'good' muscle headed jocks really are, and start looking for REAL men who KNOW stuff and have GOOD jobs(that don't involve fries or shingles). You will get plenty of attention then, so try and wait for it. It is hard to do(pun intended) but the reward will be worth it. Then YOU can be the picky one, and string them along. All the while having the 'time' of your life. Trust me on this one. :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Prom. I remember that night like it was yesterday--My date was absolutely gorgeous, with a deep blue gown. I had a black suit and a black tie over a white shirt, and wearing a fedora. One of the best nights of my life... *sigh*
I feel sorry for her that I couldn't dance to save my life! :p I guess I sort of botched it, and she eventually got engaged to some punk that I met there. Oh well.... It was fun while it lasted ;)

nbw

Joined May 8, 2011
Speaking of PROMs, here's a cartoon from a recent series of about 50 of mine: E-PROM.

The oldies here in the forum will understand what an EPROM is / was and the effect of UV light!!

Enjoy
Barney OhmArt

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I didn't even go to prom, or my graduation; too bitter. I found (contrary to bill) that life gets increasingly better the further away from highschool you get. That might have something to do with the highschool that I went to though. i would like the lack of responsibility back though.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I didn't even go to prom, or my graduation; too bitter. I found (contrary to bill) that life gets increasingly better the further away from highschool you get. That might have something to do with the highschool that I went to though. i would like the lack of responsibility back though.
Yes Yes Yes. High school was hell. Never went to prom. College is so much better.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I kinda like highschool.
No responsibilities other than homework, which sucks one week out of 9 (procrastination), and all I do is mess around with electronics or hang out with friends. I'm coasting along in the top ten of my class and enjoying it, and my chem teacher has taken to giving me stuff the school no longer needs (like power supplies). He also provides chemicals every now and then. Benefits of going to a dinky little school.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I kinda like highschool.
No responsibilities other than homework, which sucks one week out of 9 (procrastination), and all I do is mess around with electronics or hang out with friends. I'm coasting along in the top ten of my class and enjoying it, and my chem teacher has taken to giving me stuff the school no longer needs (like power supplies). He also provides chemicals every now and then. Benefits of going to a dinky little school.
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your highschool experience. If you were blindfolded and taken to my highschool, upon seeing it you would think that you had been taken to mexico. There were less kids unarmed or sober than there were armed or high. In 9th grade my class was 900 students. 500 graduated. probably 1/3 of the girls were already mothers or had one in the oven before it was over. Attendence was stressed over grades. All you had to do was show up and not stab somebody to graduate but most couldn't even do that. I didn't try because graduating at the top of my class would have been like being winner of the special olympics. I don't know anybody from my highschool who went to college. The only thing I ever got from chemistry class was a bunch of pyrex flasks/glass tubing/rubber hose to make bongs, and I didn't ask. Something wrong when the nerds are getting high.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I hear about these kinds of schools and it seems as if I see a movie. We don't have these kinds of schools here in Greece luckily. It seems you didn't turn out that bad in the end, though...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I hear about these kinds of schools and it seems as if I see a movie. We don't have these kinds of schools here in Greece luckily. It seems you didn't turn out that bad in the end, though...
Other than being 25 and no college education I made it out ok. married with kid, and working plenty overtime I can almost keep my head above water. It will be nice when my wife starts working so I can take some time off for some classes.

on a side note: I stopped into Greece (crete) briefly in the navy and went to knossos. That's a beautiful country you have there. Driving there was a little strange since I ventured away from the touristy stuff and the street signs were in greek. people were friendly though and helped me get back. I would like to go back one day when I have time to enjoy it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Greeks can be very hospital if they want to. And the sun is really extraordinary here. You just can't get enough of it.
Be wary of very elevated prices in the touristic places though. Some people really don't know what's good for the image of the country.