Projector lift electrical material list

rehmh05

Joined May 26, 2014
Hi Guys

New to the forum, so i hope this is in the right section

I was wanting to build a projector lift myself. The ready made ones costs over £500 and are not at all appealing to me.

I am good at designing but the problem is: I have very little electrical knowledge

Ok; So the lift would need to be able to lift the weight of projector + the casing : maximum of 15kg

I am not sure if I need an actuator or a motor. If i need an actuator, can you tell me which voltage/ power etc. Also i would need the controls to move this up and down. i prefer a switch which would take it down to a set position after just pressing it once and taking it back up with one press of a button to the set position. All materials needed, can you include them please. And also , how easy would it be to adjust the position settings later on?

PS. Can you include how much extra it would cost to do the same as above but with a simple wireless control unit

Edit:I have around 150 - 200 to spend on this but want asolid system to withstand the cold etc in the attick as this is where the actuator would be (to pull the projector into the ceiling)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could use a motorized linear actuator, they mainly come with DC motors, the torque would have to be calculated by taking an empirical measurement.
There are few related previous posts here complete with simple circuitry if you search.
Max.

rehmh05

Joined May 26, 2014
You could use a motorized linear actuator, they mainly come with DC motors, the torque would have to be calculated by taking an empirical measurement.
There are few related previous posts here complete with simple circuitry if you search.
Max.
Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it. Ihave tried the search but come complicated diagrams and terminology, which i'm not used to. If there is a specific one to my requirements and is simples , can you give me a link. I will try to follow it.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Design the mechanics first.

Is there room above ceiling.

How much room is there in retracted position?
Might need a scissors lift.

A straight drop might use a winch rather than actuator, to save headroom.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can obtain torque required by a suitably sized spring scale.
I see you have 15Kg which is fairly trivial for most linear actuators.
What kind of lift range is it?
There are quite a few to be had on ebay.
If you also search the posts by the member inwo here, he has posted a few before.
Here is a single P.B. circuit to take it in either direction, but there is no soft start on the motor if needed.
Max.

Attachments

rehmh05

Joined May 26, 2014
it is a good idea to design the mechanics. ill do that.

as for space, there is a lotof room, at least 2 m vertical.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The lift height can be more that the extent of the linear actuator at 15kg only you can design a mechanical amplification pivot arm etc.
Max.

rehmh05

Joined May 26, 2014
@ inwo

I like the idea in first pic, although the projector will not come down a great deal. I saw a package of actuator and acontrol box on ebay... using the firstidea, and draw sliders i'll make it slide in a str8 line. however, these sliders will actually be concealed.To show what i mean, visit: http://definitive-design.co.uk/blog/cinema-rooms/

sorry, dont know how to add pics. Check the first picture out....

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I just copied and pasted those pics. With right click.

I'm thinking a winch set up for that design. Like in second picture. It wouldn't take any special materials. Just a gearmotor turning whatever drum or tube you can find, and 4 cables over pulleys from four corners.

It might be hard to keep a 4 point slide from binding with a single actuator.
Although an actuator could pull/lift cables.

Once you get the mechanics built, I believe the power/control will be easy.