Projectile Angular Velocity (rotations), flight Path (x,y and z) and data logging

wormtrex

Joined Nov 9, 2016
Hello,

This is my very first post on the forum. I know that what I am asking is a very loaded question that can't be fully answered with the details I am giving here. I am looking for guidance on the best way to get this project started and hardware recommendations given the constraints of the project.

I have a mechanical engineering BS and a MS in Mechantronics finished in the early 2000's. During grad school and internships I did lots of projects with early Morotorola micro-controllers, the Basic stamp and some Java based controllers. I have been completely out of the micro-controller world for the past 10 years and have been a software developer using visual studio and .net. Now that is out of the way onto the project.

I am hoping to build an inexpensive micro-controller based sensor system that can measure and store rotations and flight path of a projectile traveling between 50ft and 800ft. All data will need to be stored on the projectile and then have the ability to be uploaded through Bluetooth communications to a smart phone (Android and Apple apps). The entire system will need to be battery operated, lightweight, small and energy efficient as possible. The projectiles max velocity is about 100 miles per hour and max rotations is around 2300RPM.

To start with I am hoping to find the most user friendly set of IMU, Microcontroller, data logging, and bluetooth components that will work together to make a prototype and prove out the projects feasibility. I have done projects in many different languages from Assembly to Java but I would prefer to work in C# through visual studio if possible.

Currently I am looking at using a Micro Arduino and this IMU (https://www.pololu.com/product/2739/specs).

What hardware and development platform would you use for this project and why? Any feedback or thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any idea what range of G-forces you'll need to measure? There's a lot of high tech in accelerometers these days for phones and wearables, but I doubt they're designed with >20Gs in mind. You might go straight to a manufacturer such as InvenSense and pose your question to them.