Project

Tryomn

Joined Jan 18, 2015
hello, I would like you to assist me with clue on how to build an autonomous self balancing vehicle...without a gyro and an accelerometer. Cos here In Nigeria, it's difficult to get those component, if you can get it, it's on a higher price.. Thanks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
hello, I would like you to assist me with clue on how to build an autonomous self balancing vehicle...without a gyro and an accelerometer. Cos here In Nigeria, it's difficult to get those component, if you can get it, it's on a higher price.. Thanks.
Some options would be ir emitters reflecting off of the floor and a few ir detectors to detect the reflection off of the floor.

The emitter could be placed on the front right and be angled at 45 degrees (directed to the left front after reflection) to bounce off the floor and in the left front mounted ir phototransistors. You will need 3 phototransistors stacked in parallel. When the device is vertical, the most intense signal should be aligned with the center phototransistor. As it tips back, the far phototransistor will become aligned with the ir emitter. As it tips forward, the closest will become best aligned.

Remember, you need an ir reflective surface (not black) to reflect the IR.