Project Trouble with 4017's

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ricker24, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ricker24

Thread Starter Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I have put together this project on a breadboard to make a pushbutton counter for 25 LED's lit one at a time with a reset botton. I cascaded 3 4017's with a 4011 like the data sheet that I found showed me to do. I added a 4001 with a push button switch to debounce for a clean count. I am getting a good clean count from LED 1 to 17 and then I have to push the button 2 times to get LED 18 to light up and then it counts on normal from there to 25 and goes right back to one. I drew out the circuit that I am using and am including it as an attachment. It aint pretty but I think you can tell where everything goes. I dont show each led hooked up but they are hooked to their respective pins according to the cascading data sheet for the 4017. Any help will be appreciated.Thanks...

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  3. ricker24

Thread Starter Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Thanks for your reply and yes I could use that circuit but it has a lot more components to it than mine does and was just trying to keep it limited and easy. I may have to end up going that way to get what I want though. Thanks again...

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The extra components are diode gates for the AND gates, along with a power up reset, and drivers for the LEDs. I don't know your application, but there is a very good chance you'll need something to drive the LEDs. If you make a PCB you will find the project has become a major piece of cake.

5. ricker24

Thread Starter Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for your help. Problem solved and it is working perfectly now. I was using the wrong gate. The 1st schema I found showed using a NAND gate to cascade the 4017 with and the one that I found on a data sheet uses a AND gate to cascade with. I can not believe that I did not even notice it but someone in another forum pointed it out to me so I changed it and it works perfectly now. Thanks again everyone...