Project: Textool SOIC Socket_DIP Adapter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jpanhalt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    3M makes a device called a burn-in socket under the brand name of Textool. The datasheet available on the 3M site does not show the pinout, but that information is available from technical service.

I needed a socket for programming 8-pin SOIC microprocessors without using ICSP . One can be made using the Textool for about $20.

Here is a picture of the competed gadget, an image of the PCB, and the Eagle .brd file. I have also attached the additional datasheet from 3M that shows the pinouts. I used a 1/32 PCB so as not to limit the lengths of the header pins too much. I can provide the Eagle .lbr for the Textool device if anyone wants. Just PM me.

John

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Looks nicely done - but don't forget the solder.

3. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    What you see is probably an optical artifact from too much conformal coating applied all at once. I wanted a heavy coating, and after masking, it was hard to get into all the nooks and crannies.

John

Edit: I think I see the areas you are referring to. They still work.

4. alberss

Oct 14, 2009
    Hi,

I just received my 3M Textool with part # 208-7391. It's a SOIC PGM/Burnin SOIC ZIF socket. I am having a problem with it (maybe it's just me..): I can't seem to get on of my Attiny 85 20PU SOIC's in the socket! Is there a special way you should insert the chips?

I like your 'hany' conversion board. Do you have a 1:1 pdf file of the print layout for me?

Thanks,

Stephen

5. alberss

Oct 14, 2009