Project suggestion

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by guru200773, Jun 25, 2010.

1. guru200773

Thread Starter Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Can any one suggest some good projects in micro controller or microprocessor for an final year B.E IT student pls? And post the link pls. Thanking u

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    If you search google for "microcontroller projects" you can probably find some decent ideas. I really don't have any clue what your skill level is so it's hard to recommend anything without more info.

guru200773 likes this.
  3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    guru200773 likes this.
  4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    How about a shoal of robot fish?

5. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    Make a Station Keeping Balloon.

Create three LED Beacons. These simulate marker lasers for a parking spot in the sky.

Create a Sensor that can triangulate position, by sensing those LED's.

Spinning the Linear CCD from an old Flatbed Scanner with a stepper motor might do the trick. Scavenge the guts out of an old ball mouse to get rotation sensors that will allow more precision and a way to double check that your sensor is where you expect the stepper motor to have parked it.

Once you have location data program a hysterical control loop that will run little fan motors to keep your balloon on station.

For bonus points have the raw feed from your Linear CCD providing a Racetrack camera panoramic view of surroundings video feed.

Or try doing something else might be simpler.

Just a pet project that I have wanted to work on as a proof of concept for gaining interest in larger solar powered versions. the reason I had thought of these was because of the needs in Afghanistan where the only way to have any hope of watching for terrorists effectively is to be looking down into the canyons and gullies of the mountainous terrain. The Predator type aerial spy is not effective enough because the terrorists just learn to spot the the signals when they are going to fly over - they are not 24/7 with 360 degrees coverage - they have too high an oiperating cost which is what the makers wanted and make most of their $$ from - and they are too noisy and otherwise unsuited to useful types of surveillance like shotgun mics that a balloon can use.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Using an 8-pin PIC (probably 12F6XX)make a pin compatible replacement for the NE555, except for Vcc, ground, and max supply voltage.

John

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Wow jpanhalt, thats a very good idea.

Not to say PPs wasnt good, but the NE555 replacement jumped at me. (I said PP ;) )

8. guru200773

Thread Starter Member

Apr 26, 2010
    ya bertus i know. Actually this project is not for me. My friends asks and seeks my help so i will just see the ideas and try to make a own project dude..

9. guru200773

Thread Starter Member

Apr 26, 2010
    All those who had replied and post their suggestion Thanks a ton dudes.... :)

10. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    What's the point in that?

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Obvious. What's the purpose of a final year project? That is, I have yet to see one discussed on this site that actually did something useful that had not been done before.

John

12. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    I know that, I was asking what the purpose of that specific project idea was? The only thing I can think of is "proof of concept" but those projects are not very fun.

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Well then, pick another project for your final year. My feelings won't be hurt.

I don't consider it "proof of concept " at all. There is no concept to prove. Simply put, it is a challenge to the student to understand an extraordinarily useful analog device -- 40 years in production and still going -- and emulate it using his knowledge of digital programming.

John

14. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    What are you even talking about? I'm not the OP, and I don't need to pick a project for "my final year"