Project needing guidance (I am a beginner and need help!)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by allardjf78, Jan 12, 2013.

1. allardjf78

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Hi everyone,

if I am here today, it's because I have no experience with batteries and I really need your help so I don't hurt myself or die in a horrible way. I am currently working on a project that is truly awesome and will require me to use multiple LEDs on a costume so it has to be portable. So I tried going on the internet and find a solution but I found that to be difficult since I have to use about 32 x 5mm LEDs and no small amount of AA or D batteries are going to be sufficient. (By the way, 4 of them are UV LED)

I went to a LED store that ''helped me'' although I have a feeling the guy did not really put any care into getting me what I needed since he usually deals with 10K $ and more each transactions and mine was only 200$. So, to power this baby, he gave me a 12v18ah Lead-Calcium battery, telling me that this is what I needed to power that many LEDs for an extended amount of time without my power diminishing as time goes by and my battery slowly dies. He somehow made a calculation without really telling me the specs of the LEDs (which look like very regular 5mm LEDs...) He also specified that my LEDs should be wired in series of 4 at a time to protect them. I asked if I needed resistors but he told me no.

Now, I went online to get some safety tips just to make sure I am not doing something incredibly stupid and I stumbled on some very scary stuff about exploding batteries with severe acid burn, something about charging the battery creating a dangerous gaz and such. I know I have a charger that is meant to not over-charge my battery but for some reason, I am now terrified of what I have bought and I need the precious advice of knowledgeable people to ensure I do this right (if I still do it at all) and don't get myself killed or severely wounded.

My Concerns Are :

-Is me wearing a battery like this one, strapped to my back, dangerous?
    -What are the chances of my battery blowing up or leaking?
    -How do I prevent that?
    -Since this battery is going to be strapped to me, could my movement make the battery leak acid on me?
    -During the charge, I read that the battery could leak gaz and thusly, needs to be in an open space. Can I charge it underneath my kitchen's hut? Because I have no room outside my house since it's winter and I have no garage.
    -(Confirm with me) Is the proper sequence for plugging my battery + first then - and the other way around for unplugging?

Also, here is a plan that I have made. If you find anything that makes no sense, know that I have very little knowledge and it is highly likely that there are things that could need changing and I will appreciate your every feedbacks.

Thank you very much
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    This very much depends on the details of the battery, which you have not given. That said, I doubt that the danger is high, especially if you do not wear it while charging.
    A lead acid battery can generate hydrogen during charging, and thus presents a risk in an enclosed space. But the solution to pollution is dilution. You need a big battery with no ventilation to create a significant risk. Again, your battery may not be gasser.
    Doesn't matter.