Project: LED indicators for solderless breadboard

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
This is a small board for plugging into solderless breadboards to give a visual indication of voltages for project debugging.
There are 5 pins, one common and the others connected to the 4 pairs of LEDs. The pairs of LEDS are wired in reverse parallel so that it can be used as common anode or common cathode.
All the components are 0603 size SMD components and the board can be made and soldered using your favourite method. I used UV exposure and used solder paste and a hot plate for the SMDs.

In action:

Most of the parts are not properly aligned, but works fine.

Schematic:

PCB layout:

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That's pretty cool. Nice job.

The solder looks on the lumpy side. If it has flux in the paste then the temperature was either too low or not held long enough. When solder wets out the surface tension from the liquid metal is quite high and will tend to drag the parts and center then on the pads.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That's pretty cool. Nice job.

The solder looks on the lumpy side. If it has flux in the paste then the temperature was either too low or not held long enough. When solder wets out the surface tension from the liquid metal is quite high and will tend to drag the parts and center then on the pads.
I think you are right, I'm still new to making boards this way. There's about twice as much solder as there should be as well, which probably doesn't help.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Use 1206 resistors or 1/8W through hole.

0805 LED should be reflowed it's nearly impossible to solder them manually.

Or SIP resistors array- small footprint, looks cool. Futurlec has them.

Suggestions, just...