Project help

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
hi i need help concerning a simple assembly language project.I am planning on controlling a stepper motor whose rpm i can vary.Now i can either do this through my PC via serial port communication or a Micro controller like PIC16F84a.Now the problem is that this is the first time i have taken assembly language course and my knowledge concerning programming with micro controller is zero but i am taking tutorials and learning is good but what i need is an advice that should i go with the serial port communication way or micro controllers?.I have 3 weeks to submit the project.thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Since you seem to have a choice in your solution, I would always favor the method with which you are most familiar since it is likely to be completed in the allotted time. Once you have completed the assignment and find you have some time remaining then you can attempt to solve the problem using the PIC.

hgmjr

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You only have 3 weeks? When did you learn of this project? If you truly just learned of this project then your instructor is insane to assign such a project. It will take you 3 weeks just to learn microcontrollers.

If you had plenty of time before this then shame on you for getting started so late.

The easiest way to go at this point it to get a PickKit2 or PickKit3. Don't waste your time with the serial port programmers. You can spend 3 weeks just getting them to work.

A pickit will allow you to debug your code in circuit and the serial programmers will not allow that. In circuit debugging is very useful.

Your post is confusing. I don't know if you want to directly control the stepper via the pc or program a pic via the serial port. If you want to directly control the stepper via the PC and you have done this before then do that as hgmjt said.

Last edited: