Project Help!! Wind monitoring system.

hokage

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Hi, I am given a project titled" Wind Monitoring System". Can someone give me some information on how to do the hardware and software of the project? What software to use? Thanks~

Last edited by a moderator:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You could make a start with getting information on "anemometers". Until you state the parameters of the monitoring system, it is impossible to say if your choices are correct.

Software is specific to the microprocessor/computer to be used. What background do you have?

This sounds like an assignment, so I will move it to a better section.

hokage

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for helping~ The parameter is speed, temperature and direction. How to build the PIC 18F 4550 circuit? What is the components needed? How to read the data to computer? Sorry that im very noob on this things~

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What resources do you have? Things like tools and test equipment.

Do you have the means to make printed circuit boards? Have you any background in programming?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I do not think your teacher just out of the blue just slapped a PIC 18F4550 in your lap. And told you to use it. I am sure you have one or more MCU classes as a preparation for this project. And that all you need of equipment are located at your school. You are just somewhat apprehensive about this project because this is your first real world project. And you can not just open a textbook and read until you find an answer. You have to navigate in unknown water.
You have already gotten some tips about the wind sensor. For the wind direction I would have Googled Rotary encoder. I think in this case a 8 positions Rotary encoder will do. But that you have to discuss with your teacher.
For communication with a PC. Using RS232 will be the simplest way of doing the communication with the PC. You can use USB. But that will require much more programming and knowhow from your side. It is important that you keep things simple. Do not add nice nice to have details before you have all the need to have details working. You can of course ask for help in this forum any time. But your teacher is also an important source of information. The trick is to always be prepared then asking questions. Before asking any questions you must be able to explain what you have done. And why and how struggle. And the same will go for asking questions in this forum. Then you ask questions Always post your code or schematic. It is very hard to give you any help without that kind of documentation.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
NO, we cannot provide a simple, easy to follow, set of instructions for building YOUR project.

we CAN help you with problems you have in the construction of YOUR project. All you need to do is show the work you have completed and where the problem is located within that work. We will then try to guide you along a different path toward a solution.

WE WILL NOT DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR YOU.

hokage

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Hi, I'm using Visual C++ to do the GUI but i got this error after i build it:

1>------ Build started: Project: wms 2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>stdafx.cpp
1>Compiling...
1>AssemblyInfo.cpp
1>wms 2.cpp
1>c:\users\amy\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\wms 2\wms 2\Form1.h(6) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Startup.h': No such file or directory
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Amy\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\wms 2\wms 2\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>wms 2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I attached the file with the code. Hope anyone can help me~ Thanks!!

Attachments