Project Help - Braille

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mehrab, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Mehrab

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hello.
    I'm a new member and perhaps this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything.

I'm in my final year of my Diploma and I have to come up with a project. What I wanted to do was a braille reader.

A device that will take input (just individual alphabet for now) from a device (I have no idea what I'm going to use) and then converts that digital signal into a device that has 6 pins which push out depending on which letter it is.

I have access to a PicIt2 USB programmer by Microchip and the software that it comes with to program a 8085 chip.

I can use basic else statements to program the chip to check for a value.

I'm going to use 6 motors with gears to push the pins up or down.

As of now I have no idea how I'm going to input the data. I was thinking of fabricating a box with 26 buttons each representing a letter of the alphabet. But I would like to create something with a qwerty keyboard.

I'm more stuck on trying to figure out how to get the input from a user rather than anything else. If I can find a device that transmits directly from a computer via usb, then that'll be ideal.

Any help?

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  3. Mehrab

Oct 1, 2012
    oh that is awesome.. I hadn't even thought of using a Ps2 keyboard.. and the fact that it sends a hex signal is perfect. I'll look through this tonight and try to make sense of it all.

I dont have a lot of knowledge and education behind this so I'm learning as I go, please pardon any silly questions I may ask.

What would be a good LCD display to get?

Also, I'm assuming I need to get a 89S51 chip and fabricate a board to have a PS2 connector?

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Any microcontroller should be able to communicate with a PS2 keyboard.
    As you have access to a PICKIT2, something like the PIC16F883 could be a good choice, plenty of I/O for the motors, LCD and keyboard.

5. Mehrab

Oct 1, 2012

Thanks for the help.
    I've ordered the parts I need to interface the keyboard with an LED display. However I'm still trying to figure out how I can get the servo's to run.

I understand the pulse width and so on. But I'm wondering if I need 6 different chips to control the 6 chips? Or can I do it just from one?

What I need is this:
    depending on which hex input is provided from the keyboard
    - a combination of 6 servo motors will turn on
    - before the process of the next instruction, the motors that came on, will go off
    - system will go back to initial state ready for the next operation

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I offloaded driving my servos to a dedicated controller. 6 servos is certainly do-able. The controller I use will control up to 32 servos. Pololu, Sparkfun and Lynxmotion all make such controllers. Commands are sent to the controller over a serial line.

Also, I used a lookup table to send the specific servo commands. You can use the character from the keyboard to index the lookup table and send commands to all six servos at once.

7. Mehrab

Oct 1, 2012
    Do you know if it can be done using a pic controller?
    I already have a pickit2 as it came with a kit for school and it's something I'm familiar with and programming in C

Or do you know of any tutorials?

is this what you meant by using pololu to control the servo? http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350

Is there any way to convert the hex signal to serial?

Sorry for any silly questions.

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    That's the Pololu product I was thinking of.

I am familiar with the serial controllers; PICs not so much. But I do know there may be serial communication libraries that you could use.

9. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi, may I ask what uni you go to?