Project enclosure

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by odm4286, Jul 22, 2013.

1. odm4286

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Hello everyone, I have a quick question about project enclosures. I've built most of this simply dc power supply

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-12/build-simple-dc-power-supply

and now I need to make an enclosure to finish it up. I was thinking about using plexiglass and actually found an old picture frame that someone threw out. Would it be safe to to use the material found on the picture frame? Its definitely some type of acrylic sheet but I'm not sure which type.

Thanks

2. Johann

Nov 27, 2006
    Hi ODB4286,
    For this type of project, your salvaged plexiglass will do just fine! Just keep all the mains wiring safely inside so that no-one can get electrocuted!

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You may need vent holes to allow a bit of cooling.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    And of course "if" a fire starts in your power supply the plastic is only going to fuel it further. Metal is a better choice.

And yes as wayneh said.. You'd better ensure that you aren't trapping any heat your power supply is dissipating. A fan is never a bad idea as well as adequate ventilation holes.

5. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    I'd probably add some short circuit, over voltage/current protection to that circuit as well....

HTH Steve.

6. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    You could use this to connect the power cord.

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Plexiglas, acrylic and lucite are all versions of poly methyl methacrylate. Once overheated, they will depolymerization and burn well. You are better off with a polymer like polycarbonate, PVC, or any polymers with flame retardants compounded into the plastic.

Best and easiest is metal. Use an old ATX computer power supply. They are about the size you need and already have the Mains connector and fuse build into the box. Fire and electrocution are the biggest concerns of this hobby - both are deadly.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    And grounded to boot!;)
    Max.

GopherT likes this.
  9. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    If you have a hot air gun you might be able to make a case just like the picture on that page.

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    And already filled with a good power supply. ;)