project - car counting

Anesio

Joined Oct 21, 2008
Hello every1 I'm working on a car parking system but i have some problems. because i want to count the numbers of car entering and leaving using a up/down counter. but i don't know how am i gonna make the logic so that if a car enter counts up and if a car leave counts down. pls help me guys.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
You didn't really mention how the car is being sensed.

If you think about it, it is impossible to sense whether a car is entering and leaving with a basic photointerruptor. You would need two of these photointerruptors. There are other ways too, but you need to clarify how you are detecting the cars.

Steve

awright

Joined Jul 5, 2006
Give us something to work with, Anesio. How about a description of your parking lot configuration. Are you creating a commercial system to apply to many different lot configurations or are you targeting one specific lot?

Assuming you are designing for one specific lot, what are the entry and exit configurations? Single entry AND exit? (That boggles the mind.) One of each? Multiples of each? Do all cars go up/down helical ramps? The same or different ramps?

awright

jim77

Joined Nov 21, 2008
Assuming a single lane for entry AND exit, you could have 2 IR Break Beams, as Steve said. Depending on which beam was broken first, would decide if it was incoming or out going, then you could say that both beams have to be broken together to get a valid count. This would reduce false counts caused by birds, people etc.
Personally, I would handle the logic with a PIC and a LCD, because its easy to set something up quick..

Jim