Project box mounting

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mooseo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mooseo

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi all,

I've got a small circuit board and an aluminum project box it needs to fit in... I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount it in place. The box is too thin to tap easily, though I guess I could have a nut on the outside (but that wouldn't look so pretty). In the past, I've used double-stick tape for this sort of thing, but it seems like a kluge.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    mike

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    There are short, threaded, round or hex shaped tubes, that fit 4-40 or 6-32 threads so you can only show the pan head of a bolt on the outside of the box. The hex spacer threads on the end of that tiny bolt, then the circuit board, then another short bolt.

You might mount a switch or volume control on the circuit board and by mounting that to the box, thus fasten the circuit board in place.

There. 2 ideas.

3. hobbyist

Distinguished Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Or cut a piece of thin wood to fit snugly in the box and glue it in.
    Then use it as a chasis to attach hardware (standoffs, ect...) too.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Put insulators (scotch tape, masking tape, foam, whatever) and let it float. The wires will keep it still for the most part.

There are as many ideas for mounting as their are people. If you're board is empty on the edges you can make a pair of slots with wood or plastic and slide it in. Many cases have this feature already molded in.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Hot melt glue also works well. Just be sure there are not shorts to the box.

John

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The nomenclature for the items in #12's reply is "standoffs". Your local Radio Shack store carries at least two types of standoffs; insulated and non-insulated.

See this link for photos and Radio Shack part numbers: http://www.radioshack.com/family/in...andoffs&filterName=Type&filterValue=Standoffs

If you use just a bit of nail polish on the standoffs' screw heads, they won't vibrate loose by themselves. A tiny dab'll do it.

7. mooseo

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!

Mike