progressive dishcharge of ultra capacitors

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Some miliseconds at most? 15kW over 1 second is 15kJ. A capacitor that large I´d guesstimate to be roughly 500 grams, maybe more.
So, a small model plane? Yes, but it will never take off. Something like the Solar impulse? Yeah sure, but there is a reason why they use batteries instead of supercaps... - supercaps are great at delivering extreme peak power, but they suck at energy stored per unit weight compared to batteries, and their charging and discharging circuits are more complicated as well.

theantimarx

Joined Aug 21, 2016
Some miliseconds at most? 15kW over 1 second is 15kJ. A capacitor that large I´d guesstimate to be roughly 500 grams, maybe more.
So, a small model plane? Yes, but it will never take off. Something like the Solar impulse? Yeah sure, but there is a reason why they use batteries instead of supercaps... - supercaps are great at delivering extreme peak power, but they suck at energy stored per unit weight compared to batteries, and their charging and discharging circuits are more complicated as well.
I remember a man, seeking technical advice, being condescendingly told it was impossible, yet later someone DID IT.
I, the "antimarx" want at least 45 min. of flight time, & am interested in ultracaps because they charge VERY rapidly, and may be less expensive than Li-ion batteries. One thoughtful person mentioned LIC's.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I remember a man, seeking technical advice, being condescendingly told it was impossible, yet later someone DID IT.
I, the "antimarx" want at least 45 min. of flight time, & am interested in ultracaps because they charge VERY rapidly, and may be less expensive than Li-ion batteries. One thoughtful person mentioned LIC's.
They charge rapidly because they don't have much capacity.
Way more expensive per watt than Lipos.
I'll byte, what's a LIC?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Lots of possibilities. In the context here, I suspect the TS meant Lithium Ion Capacitor. A type of supercap with higher voltage.

The TS is concerned that anyone who points out the current limits of capacitors to provide such a power (45 minutes at 15 kW) for an electric powered airplane, is condescending. I would like see his/hers/its design so we can help improve it, rather than putting that task on us. This is a forum to help people, not do it for them.

Go ahead, use LIC. We can find crowd funding for you at the point you have something reasonable designed.

John

theantimarx

Joined Aug 21, 2016
Lots of possibilities. In the context here, I suspect the TS meant Lithium Ion Capacitor. A type of supercap with higher voltage.

The TS is concerned that anyone who points out the current limits of capacitors to provide such a power (45 minutes at 15 kW) for an electric powered airplane, is condescending. I would like see his/hers/its design so we can help improve it, rather than putting that task on us. This is a forum to help people, not do it for them.

Go ahead, use LIC. We can find crowd funding for you at the point you have something reasonable designed.

John
Thanks John, others gave me enough of the basics, showing that ultracaps are not feasible.

theantimarx

Joined Aug 21, 2016
They charge rapidly because they don't have much capacity.
Way more expensive per watt than Lipos.
I'll byte, what's a LIC?
A "LIC" is a Lithium Ion capacitor - [maybe the wrong abbreviation]. Someone mentioned it @ this site [though not necessarily this group or thread].
I appreciate his help, and my search gave good technical info on them.

theantimarx

Joined Aug 21, 2016

John
What is the "TS"? I have an EXCELLENT airframe design, & the very high price of a motor & Li-ion batteries prompted me to find alternatives. By the way, I was there, & it was one of many valuable lessons in humility I've experienced. Also, I try not to take things personal - & I chose battles very carefully. signed, the Antimarx

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
A "LIC" is a Lithium Ion capacitor - [maybe the wrong abbreviation]. Someone mentioned it @ this site [though not necessarily this group or thread].
I appreciate his help, and my search gave good technical info on them.
Ahh, I see. The problem is they have about 1/20 the power for the same weight as LIPOs.:(