Programming PIC18F**K** Series

FunkiiMunkii

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I have been programming PICs for quite some time with a simple JDM programmer using DL4YHF's WinPIC software. However, recently I wanted to program a 18F26K20 which is not natively supported by WinPIC. Even though the WinPIC FAQ says new devices can be added by changing the device configs, I don't think adding support for the K series is this simple. Considering the fact that the JDM programmer I have (http://i9.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ff/d6/d513_1.JPG) was designed to program 5V PICs, I don't think it would be safe to program a 3.3V PIC, right?

My question is essentially this: Can I simply change the device config and expect to program the 18F26K20 with my existing JDM programmer? If not, what are some cheap alternative programmers that can handle the K (and maybe J) series?

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Can I simply change the device config and expect to program the 18F26K20 with my existing JDM programmer?
The pic18f26k20 is 5V tolerant and the ICSP Module is HV type (VPP can tolerate up to 13.5V) so you might be able to do it.