programming pic16f876a

klingsor

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi there
I´m newbe in electronics also in this forum I hope this is the rigth place to put this post... I have some devices that uses pic 16f876A . Every one should have the same program but diferent device id. I read the hex code in every one, I compare all those hex file using a program (Hexcmp) and all the hex files are identical, may some one explain me why? Should the code be different at least a bit because somewhere there is a different device id?

Thanks in advance

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
The ID location is in configuration memory and not in program memory. If you read only the program memory, then there would be no difference whatsoever. Set the programmer to also read the configuration memory, then you would see the difference. Refer to the datasheet for the exact address of the ID register.

klingsor

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I´m using pickit2, i don´t find any option to do that, may you point me to some source where i can learn about this? I already check the manual of pickit.

Regards

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
They are displayed on the top panel on the PICkit 2 programmer software as User IDs, Configuration, OSCCAL, etc.. Generally, the hex files generated by MPASM include these data if configured correctly. You could do a text dump of the hex file and look for the ID, configuration, OSC Cal, etc. addresses. The addresses might be different for different devices, look in the dtasheet to find the correct addresses.

It might not support reading the User IDs on all devices.