programming PIC16F819

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Hi

I am doing a placement in college where they have all necessary things to program the PIC16F819.
But right now I am @ home and want to continue working on the project. But i dont want to spend too much money on things.

What are the cheapest tools I need in order to programe the PIC16F819 with the CCS compiler?

thx
VVS

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
CCS compiler just generates the hex file which will be downloaded to the PIC. To download the program to the PIC you need a programmer (with its software) or use the in circuit programming function of the PIC and a simple wire to connect it to the PC (serial or USB port).

The collage should have a programmer device.

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I guess you have to use the MPLab software for your CPU programming. The compiler outputs hex and debug files that are selectable and compatible with the the MPLab IDE for source level debugging and programming. A important part of being an engineer is to navigate in unknown water. So I leave it up to you to find out how.
By the way the MPLab software is free. Find it on the microchip site
Good luck

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
If you are good enough, why not make one yourself? Here's the link. Your uC is supported and further details are given there. It uses your RS232 (serial) port for programming. Read it well before you jump in. Use your normal program for the programming and hex dumping. This stuff only burns it to your PIC. It is just the interface.

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007
yea that would be fun make the interfacing urself. i checked the site I cant find a tutorial tho on how to make the interfacing exactly.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
If you seriously interested in programming, have a look at the Microchip 'PicKit 2'

This works directly from within MPLab and supports both programming and in-circuit debugging (like the ICD2 but cheaper).

These are not as cheap as a kit programmer, but not a bad price and far more flexible.
Rough price is UKP 25 or USD 30 - 40 depending where you buy.
(Or there are cheaper clones on ebay, if they work?)

When looking for prices, make sure you are looking at the gadget only not a kit - there are numerous kits that also include development circuit boards and cost two or three times as much.

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007
If you seriously interested in programming, have a look at the Microchip 'PicKit 2'

This works directly from within MPLab and supports both programming and in-circuit debugging (like the ICD2 but cheaper).

These are not as cheap as a kit programmer, but not a bad price and far more flexible.
Rough price is UKP 25 or USD 30 - 40 depending where you buy.
(Or there are cheaper clones on ebay, if they work?)

When looking for prices, make sure you are looking at the gadget only not a kit - there are numerous kits that also include development circuit boards and cost two or three times as much.

Hey,

Yea the PICkit2 would really be the best tool. But I checked the datasheet. According to it it is not compatible with PIC16F819, which is a bit perplexing, coz it should up in related products in farnell.

This is the product
http://at.farnell.com/microchip/pg164120/programmer-pickit-2/dp/9847170

This is the data sheet which shows that it is not compatible with PIC16F819
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/313444.pdf

This is the 2nd data sheet
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/79536.pdf

@ jj_alukkas
Thx a lot. But i just need sth for the next 2 weeks as I will be in uni after that and can use the universal programmer there again. Implementing all this will take some time. But thx a lot I will definetely give it a try when I have more time.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
I was always interested in making my own things rather than use what they make. So just gave a suggession. Time can't be wasted, so better get a kit.

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Hi,

Thx for everyones help.

Finally I had to settle with Velleman's Programmer and developement board.
But there is one problem. Does anybody know how to convert inhx32 to inhx8m or inhx8s to inhx8m? I really need this. thx

VVS

VVS

Joined Jul 22, 2007
yea but the problem is i cant get it here. i ordered it from farnell and it never came. :mad: then i called them and they said that they dont deliver to private persons, after one week!!!