Programming ICs ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Artificial, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Artificial

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2009

Firstly I'd just like to say how great it is to of found such a popular forum on electronics! :)

I was hoping for some newbie advice on how I should go about creating a project I'd like to have a go at.

Basically I'd like to make an autonomous carpet hoover.

The reason is I'm starting to learn AI programming at college later this year. The programming language I currently know best is C++.

I was wondering how one goes about implementing a script into an IC circuit.

I've never attempted anything of this type thing before, and my knowledge of ICs is limited to logic gates, and at best the Motorola 68K.

I'd like to be able to for example start off with some simple If/Else statements, and have the machine turn these instructions into actions - for example the program says 'turn left' and I'm wondering what kind of hardware and language would be able to produce the 'turn left' action.

So this is what I want to do, but I have no idea of how to do it.

If anyone can give me some basic advice on how such a machine would be created I'd be most gratefull.

Many thanks!

Artificial :)
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There are so many things to address in your post. I would put programming in one box and say that the first order of business in beginning the project is learning electronics.

Everything outside the uC is going to be very different from the stuff inside. That means designing interfaces, learning how sensors work and how to use them, even knowing how electromechanical stuff like motors and switches work. pursue this, and life will never get boring. People who write code should know how to design hardware, too.

The AI approach might be interesting. I suspect that the Roomba covers an area by making random angle turns away from obstacles. It will eventually cover a room, but it's not elegant.

This is a project, so I will move this to the Projects section.

Welcome to the forums.