Programming help

tresguey

Joined Apr 22, 2013
I have been looking at various programs to help as a beginner to program PICs. I will have my PICKit 3 Monday and would like to start using it.

I have looked at Flowcode for PIC. And it seems very simple to use. Is there any other programs out there for a true novice to learn?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Anyone starting out in PICs has several hurdles to jump over as I detail here.

I've never used Flowcode much besides trying it once. It is going to have it's advantages and disadvantages as much as any other method. It is seriously limited, which is an advantage at first (doesn't let you shoot yourself in the foot) but one day you will hit a rock wall and be forced to change to another programming tool.

C was, is, and will be, the strongest way to go. C's limitation is it is not a very good language to begin to learn programming, though not impossible.

The PICkit 3 Debug Express package has tutorials on how to use C to program PICs... it doesn't really teach C itself. You can download those tutorials for free (follow the link in my link above).

The PICkit 3 is a very good lace to start!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi,

Starting with C might be a bit difficult but its worth doing it because in the end you will use C for more complex programs. Another option is Basic but I am not sure if there are any good compilers for PICs.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Another option is Basic but I am not sure if there are any good compilers for PICs.
There are several. PicBasic and OshonSoft come to mind first.

OshonSoft is quite affordable and I by far preferred it over PiCBasic.