Programming GALs -- USB hardware, tutorials, alternatives?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wsprague, Sep 7, 2016.

1. wsprague

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Hi all

Jameco sells 22v10's, presumably from ATMEL, but I can't figure out where to get hardware and software to do the programming. There are a lot of random webpages with references to old "shareware" exe files and ways to hack your parallel port cable, that stuff doesn't really apply anymore and I don't mind spending $100.00 or so if I know it is going to work.

Any ideas?

I realize the 22v10 is a very old technology, but it appeals to my BEAM robotics sensibility. (And all I do so far is make blinky light projects anyway.) However, I would be interested in fairly simple but more modern alternatives. But I definitely don't need the most powerful, modern FPGA -- I just need 72 NAND thingies, or whatever you call them, to run things like Christmas lights around my house...

I would just love an accompanying tutorial that says, basically, (1) buy this USB programmer, (2) install this software, (3) run it this way, (4) hook up the IC to your blinky light circuit breadboard this way, et (5) voila!

I resist buying a dev board, because I want to program multiple ICs and use them in other projects, not just get my feet wet programming the IC. But maybe that is the best way to get started -- I would be interested in reasons and opinions.

I also get the feeling that Lattice makes the most old school ICs today, and I find that appealing, but I have no idea really. Comments welcome!

Thanks!

2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Not the off the shelf solution you're looking for, but what I'd do is buy some microcontroller like RPi or C.H.I.P. that provide a sufficient number of I/O's and roll my own.

I've used parallel port Willem-type programmers for EPROM, EEPROM, and FLASH in the past, and I have some PROM and NVRAM devices that weren't supported. For years I thought about making adapters to support them, but never got around to it. Now I've added C.H.I.P. to my tool box and am working on programs that read and write the NVRAMs and will eventually move on to PROMs, EPROMs, and EEPROMs (older school stuff than the PALs you mentioned).

C.H.I.P. has only been around for about a year and the company is still trying to figure out how to scale up manufacturing, streamline shipping, and get past requiring preorders. My preference for it is based on articles I read about the first $9 computer. You can learn about it at getchip.com. Pi Zero is cheaper but by the time you add things Chip comes with, it's more expensive. I got in on the ground floor with Chip and will stick with it for now.

Another option is to get an old laptop with a parallel port and use the DIY PAL stuff. I have an old laptop running WinME so I can use my parallel port programmers.