Programming ATtiny13

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nuclearsam, Jun 22, 2008.

1. nuclearsam

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 7, 2007
    hi guys

i need to program ATtiny13 microcontroller. Please suggest me the easiest possible method to do that. Please provide the method to build my own AVR ISP programmer which can program ATtiny13.

looking forward for a quick reply..

thanking you
    Sam

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Have you looked at this website for a solution?

hgmjr

3. nuclearsam

Dec 7, 2007
    yups i checked this site but there is no mention of ATtiny13... please tell me which one of them can be used to program ATtiny13... and does its Parallel port equivalent can also be used to program ATtiny13....

thanking you

Sam

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Have you looked at the AVRISP2? Unlike the earlier version AVRISP, It includes the ATTINY13 in its list of devices that it can program. Digikey as the AVRISP2 in stock. The AVRISP2 is also supported by AVRSTUDIO 4 development software so if you decide to use it you will not needed to buy any programming software since AVRSTUDIO 4 is free from the ATMEL website.

One point worth mentioning, the ATTINY13 is on the endangered species list.

hgmjr

5. nuclearsam

Dec 7, 2007
    thanx hgmjr for a quick nd useful response... the point u mentioned about the ATtiny13 that it is an endangered species is worth considering... so now i m planning to use ATtiny11l in my project. please suggest a easy circuit to build a programmer for it... check out one i found on net, is this programmer good to use or is there any better one. please tell me asap.

thanx
    Sam

6. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    the ATtiny13 'replaced' the ATtiny11 so the tiny11 is even more endangered. If this is just for a small hobby project then you are OK just buy extra.

The ATtiny13A replaces the ATtiny13.

7. nuclearsam

Dec 7, 2007
    thanx nanovate, but ATtiny11l and ATtiny13 are the only two 8-pin microcontroller available in my locality...

i have to develop a timer switch which is 'on' for two minutes per week, for this i decided to count the number of pulses of time period 2 min. via microcontroller. To generate pulse of time period 2 min. i will use 4060 or 555. A relay would be connected to the microcontroller via transistor which would be thrown 'on' or 'off'...

i m second year engineering student and have to submit this project in a company as a training project.

please suggest me that which microcontroller would be best for this project.

also please suggest or comment about the project...

thanking you
    Sam

8. nuclearsam

Dec 7, 2007
    hey guys m still not able to find a simple programmer for ATtiny13 which i can build my self...

please some circuit to build a programmer for ATtiny13....

thanx
    Sam

9. Norfindel

Mar 6, 2008
    I can't help you with the programmer, but since you're using a uController, i recommend that you use a stable crystal for the uController's clock, and count the minutes, and weeks from there. That would be *way* better than using an 555 for the time lapse.

10. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    The AVRISP Mk2 is pretty low cost and it programs all the AVRs. A prgrammer is not just a simple circuit, it includes software to run it.

11. nuclearsam

Dec 7, 2007
  12. Jimthree

Jul 4, 2008
    You can use this to program an ATtiny13, I program these chips with it all the time.

http://ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/index.html

The ATtiny13 is a bit rubbish, it's not got much memory, or features. Try and get one 8pin chips like a ATtiny25, ATtiny45 or even ATtiny85. you'll have a lot more fun with them.

If you can't find them, go with the 13, but as the previous poster mentioned, buy a few of them.

Jim