Programming a TQFP micro OUT of circuit?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Vaughanabe13, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Vaughanabe13

Thread Starter Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Basically, whenever I use a TQFP surface-mount microcontroller for a project, I always install it in my board with an ICSP programming header and program it in-circuit. But lets say I want to sell my design to someone else as a kit, and I want to send them a pre-programmed microcontroller.

In that case, what's the best way to program a TQFP micro (specifically, a Microchip PIC32MX micro) out-of-circuit so that I don't have to solder it to a board first? Is there some kind of special TQFP adapter or a special programmer or something? This won't be a large-scale production, just something I do at my workbench for hobby projects.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Hmm selling a kit with a TQFP not soldered in. Who are your customers/clients ? Not many hobbyist may have equipment for such soldering. The result is obvious. Your kits will get a bad reputation and not sell very much. Because they do not work ;)

3. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    I'm sorry but that doesn't even address my question and thus, isn't very helpful. I'm using the word "kit" loosely here - just assume the people ordering this "kit" are also skilled solderers, and know how to solder a TQFP (which isn't hard at all, btw). I didn't ask questions about how not to get a bad reputation, I just want to know the cheapest way to program a TQFP without soldering it. Right now it looks like a TQFP socket adapter is the way to go, but those are fairly expensive and I was hoping for something cheaper.

4. wannaBinventor

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm think adapter is about the only way to go.

How much are you seeing them for? I was looking for some adapters that would take little ICs like TSSOPs, QFNs, and QFPs to DIP and I kept seeing $100 or so for the QFNs.

5. Vaughanabe13

May 4, 2009
    For a socket-style adapter that can be loaded/unloaded I really can't find anything for less than 100. Most things I find are specifically for Atmel products and are usually more expensive. I did find one ebay auction that was selling a generic TQFP64 adapter for 70.

Usually companies will just send their hex file(s) to Microchip and order pre-programmed ICs, but I'm not doing anything large-scale like that. Just wondering if there was another option I didn't know about.