Programming a PIC not on a development board

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Mashly, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Mashly

Thread Starter Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Hi

This may be a really simple question but I don't seem to be searching for the right thing.

I have two PIC24FJ64GA002 -I/SP's and was wondering how one goes about programming these with out a development board as this is all I have used before.

I would like to put them onto the board I am going to use them on then programme them.

Thanks,

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You can set up a 5 pin port connected to the pic, but it depends on how the final application uses these pins, IOW what is connected to these in situ.
    Also you need a Pic programmer Pickit 3.
    Max.

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    What is your development board? Maybe the have put the ISCP signals on a header

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    That's just what I do for the most part. I leave the programming pins free from my application hardware so the PICkit (or ICD 3) can use them.

If they are completely free from use you have the HUGE advantage of doing in circuit debugging, or running your code on your actual hardware, and use breakpoints and such to see what your code is really doing.

5. Mashly

Thread Starter Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Cool thanks for all your help guys, really liking this forum, always good answers and everyone seems to want to help.

I thought this may be the case, I have a PIC32 Starter Kit (but did not realise I needed the breakout board for what I want to do), and on another project I was going to use some PIC24FJ64GA002's that I found spare but do not have a PICkit3 programmer and it is not that easy to get things shipped to where I am at the moment, I will have to wait a few months.

I am guessing that you need the PICkit3 for both ICSP and RTSP?

Thanks

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The PICkit 2 also does in circuit debugging for most of the parts it supports. The limit I believe is PICs that lack the internal debugging circuitry.

MPLAB (X or not) will show you what programmers work with what PIC you are considering.