Programmers

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Waynejames, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Waynejames

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I have no experience with programmers how ever I got a usbtiny isp and wish to program aTmega 328 chips for clocks I am building presently.
    However the usbtiny plug is different than that on the board and also different terms.
    I found a design for a simple add on but again the legs are different to that which is in the control circuit for the clock.
    for instance on the clock circuit pin 19 drives a pulse LED, one the add on for the usbtiny programmer THE LED IS DRIVEN FROM PIN 24,.... pin 17 , 18 , and 19 are used for the programming MOSI MISO AND SCK.
    I checked that on the datasheet it is correct.
    The control circuit uses pins 2, 3 and looks like 4 along with 1 for reset, 7 for VCC and 8 ans 22 for ground.
    On the control board 24 is not uesd nor it 17 or 18.
    If I make this add on and program with it will it affect the opperation of the 328 aTmega in the clock circuit.
    To me its very confusing.

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    What kind of connector is it using. My avr programmer uses a 10 pin IDC jack and is very easy to use.

Do you have a picture of it?

Allen

3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Unfortunately, six and ten pin connectors are both common and adapting them can be painful (I know, it took me a while to find the error in the pin-outs of a connector I found on the internet.).

Just find reliable pinout of the connector that you are using and match those pins up with Reset, Vcc, Ground, MISO, MOSI, and SCLK on the chip you want to program.