Programmable Unipolar Motor Driver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Cue, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Cue

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm very new to these forums and electronics so first off I would like to say a courteous hello to all members of AAC.

I recently got a Raspberry Pi and a stepper motor. I know nothing about electrical engineering and thought I would start learning with this first ever project; turning a motor on/off, which sounded straightforward at the time.

Not knowing what I was doing I bought an Easydriver for the salvaged PM55l-048 stepper motor(Data sheet ). Unfortunately after some research into stepper motors I think the stepper I have is the unipolar version since it is a 5 wire motor and from what I understand it is not possible to drive it with the EasyDriver (is this correct?).

So looking into it further I found these wiring diagrams for the PM55l: Here

I'm not sure what the circuit diagrams in the datasheet is showing, are these flyback/freewheeling diodes and transistors built into the small breakout board on the motor or are they just showing a possible circuit to connect them to a digital output/controller? Can the small breakout board be taken off to convert it to a six wire stepper driven by the EasyDriver (since the motor has 6 exposed pins converted to 5 on the breakout). Can the Raspberry Pi drive the stepper (I'm guessing not because it's running Raspian which will mean timing will be a problem?)

Sorry about all these questions, I guess my main open-ended question is what is the best way/circuit to drive this motor and have full (programmable) control of the stepping?