Programing Atmel

iliyatzukerman

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hello.
I am a new to embeded world and i would like to understand is thre any softwere that i can use to program my atmel micro ATxmega256D3-AU but i wan to do it not on evaluation boad,i want to do it on board were it will be placed as a part of aproject.
I know there is special pins for it clk and data i found them and now i want to beable to programe with my pc thru usb then to usb converter to I2C since from what i understand this micro is working with this protocol on this pins .But i having hard time to found program for pc to do it.
Thx.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You can´t use I2C to program the chip unless you have a bootloader already inside. You need to use the ISP or JTAG pins to get any program into the flash memory.

thavinator

Joined Jul 4, 2011
What kubeek said, except that the AVR XMEGA parts use JTAG or PDI, not ISP, which limits your selection of programming hardware considerably. The AVR Dragon is the cheapest option, I think, that will support the Xmega256D3. Other options are STK600, JTAGICE, or AVR ONE!. I believe that some of the USB parts actually do come with a USB bootloader, but this isn't one of them (since it doesn't have USB).