Program to search data strings from a database

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Legend killer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Legend killer

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Hi everyone
    Its been a long time since I last logged on to this site,and it feels good to be back now :).
    I dont have much experience with programming languages so here i am stuck.
    I need to develop a GUI in which i want to search for data string/keyword from a pre-loaded database. The scenario is something as follows.
    I have approx 100 essays each containing approx 6 paragraphs. I want to find out details about a particular keyword when i search for it.for example,when i type "before",a preview(or table) of all the sentences starting from "before" should appear with the details like essay number and paragraph number.when i click on particular sentence,that corresponding essay should open. Any ideas how to do this and which programming language to use? I just need some direction from where i should start.:)

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    1. Learn about the particular DB you are going to use.

2. You then decide on the language to be used.

Without any details no one is even going to be able to begin to help you other than the above.

3. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    If the essays aren't too long, it would probably be helpful to read the whole lot of them into computer memory rather than to keep playing around with files. Once you have everything in memory, the strstr() function searches for one string in another (assuming you're using C or C++).