program to blink hard drive led

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have seen this feature in windows server 08 storage manager for SANs. there is a feature that will alow you to select a drive and make the led flash for identification. I would like to do this in a system with 12 SCSI drives I have 3 that are same model one is acting up, but don't know what one. I want some way to select a disk then make the led flash so I can find it.
I googled it, but appears no such thing exists which surprises me. want to be for windows.
any idea of any program that will do this? or possible to make one. I wouldn't think would be that hard to make, but not sure as I don't know programing.
if someone can make one i'd love a program like that, make open source put on cnet, etc for other technicians.

Litch

Joined Jan 25, 2013
You have given no information on the chassis it's in, the HBA itself, the caddy (if applicable)....

Even if you gave us that info, we don't have your set up to test it on.

This is not a feasible task.

Instead, locate the disk via serial number - your HBA should at least give the ID/SCSI ID of the faulty disk, and it should provide serial numbers of each disk by ID.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I looked at that in MMC I can get ID, serial#, but without pulling drives to find the id setting which may not be taken as set by jumpers, and read serial#. figured since seen in storge manager then standalone program should be possible.