Professors Prove Single Photons Do Not Exceed the Speed of Light

Discussion in 'Physics' started by nsaspook, Jul 25, 2011.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    http://www.ust.hk/eng/news/press_20110719-893.html

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I saw a similar article in physorg.com. It is all well and good, but I suspect we have already moved beyond that. Entanglement seems to violate the FTL principle, and I haven't heard any good explanations about that yet.

3. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I've seen several articles that contradict that. I don't take them as gospel, but I don't think the books are closed on the possibilities yet.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080612141344.htm

http://io9.com/5277700/scientists-measure-communication-between-quantum-entangled-atoms

http://www.narutoforums.com/archive/index.php/t-385076.html

It doesn't help the hucksters are getting into the act. I'm seeing a lot of articles that try to use quantum entanglement for self help, by allowing people to see where the changes of their life occurred (my BS detector is clicking away). We'll see many other schemes soon too.

If the science articles are to be believed we already have used the principle for a rather high S/N communication though.

5. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    If you look behind the facts in these cases no energy is being transmitted FTL. The actual data is pre-encoded into quantum information (image, the vibrating atoms) and actually transmitted at non-FTL speeds then decoded back to the actual data at the other side.

So if you viewed the other quantum cat image on the other side of the universe and it moved in some way you could not know if it was a random movement or if the image on the other side moved unless you could compare the two. What's 'spooky' is that when you use energy to compare the two, the changes seems to have happened at the same time. So if we never see or measure the other image do the changes actually happen?

6. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I was trying to find out if someone has any information on WHAT limits the speed of light / electromagnetic radiation.
    No scientist seems to be able to give an answer to WHY the speed of light is limited to what it is.

7. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    Because that's the speed limit.

[​IMG]

8. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Reminds me of parents who say to their questioning children "because no/yes".
    And the children continue to ask "but why???" :D:D:D

9. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    It's too bad those darn photons didn't go faster than the speed of light. It would have spawned the newest nerdy sport - photon racing.

That would have eventually led to such taunting dialog as, "Hey, I'll bet you 100 bucks my photon is faster than yours."

10. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I hate it when idiot journalists say "A = B". Isn't there an IQ entry requirement to journalist school? Apparently not.

The study "confirms PHOTONS do not travel faster then the speed of light" or more accurately still "confirms the SPECIFIC PHOTONS WE TESTED DID not travel faster than the speed of light"...

It's logical to assume the top speed of anything is mass related, so (to play the logic out) IF the speed of light is based on the mass of photons, anything lighter than photons will most likely travel faster.

11. toninph

Dec 10, 2010
    It's about "something" going from A to B. That "something" has mass, limiting its speed to the speed of light (Einstein). But what if that "something" is "nothing", i.e. no mass?
    Like "thoughts". Today I (A) thought "I think my wife would like to have pizza" and instantaneously my wife (B) asked "can you make pizza today?"
    Maybe funny, but meant as a serious "?" nevertheless.

12. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    And the mass of the photon is ? ( hint, in relavitivity it refers to rest mass ).

13. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I liked that and I agree, it's always good to be really specific when stating /confirming something to the public.

14. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Unknown to me. I've never been able to weigh one. I'll leave that to the professional guessers...
    ;)

15. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Ohh, pick me PICK ME !!!!

The photon is massless, hence it travels at c.

I would assume any particle with any less mass to travel faster then c, but that particle would have negative mass.

16. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Negative mass? A tachyon, or Dark Energy?

17. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Yeah, something like that, but you'd really have to ask one of these UFO contactees who aim to measure each and every photon in existence before saying none of them exceed c.

18. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    praondevou likes this.
  19. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    It's astounding! Time is fleeting. However, it begs the question "what would spacetime be moving in?"

Madness takes it's toll.

20. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009