Professional soldering iron!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Eric007, May 25, 2013.

1. Eric007

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
  2. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    The knock off's are ok but not the best and already require upgrades to improve performance...Your better off buying a used hakko or weller and if you want a professional iron then your better have deep pockets ....

3. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    I have that exact iron. Warms up fast, holds temp well and the difital readout is dead on the temp. It is a knock off, but for 1/4 the money you get nearly as good a unit. I bought a couple of assortments of spare tips and like 10 of the very pointy tips for close work and haven't had to use any but the original tip so far. I timed it from room temp cold to meltin solder and it took 27 seconds to melt 60/40x 1/8th acid core solder. I'm happy with it's performance in every way and some of them even come with extra tips and a spare ceramic heater element too. Look around and you might even find a better deal with all the extra goodies too.

Wheelchair Bob

Eric007 likes this.
  4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    That unit is probably some cheap copy from China. And the tips are probably not very good. It is common that then they sell those cheap copies. They sweeten the offer by adding a lot of extra tips. And they will often also be missing then you open the package. If you get a Weller iron. You will have something that last. The flimsy copy unit will soon be a goner

5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Eric007 likes this.
  6. dthx

May 2, 2013
    I watched a youtube video of a guy using PACE equiptment...he was desoldering chips with a tip that was hooked up to a vacuum device and it was really cool....Im not "in the business" but if I had to change out a bunch of chips....I cant see how it could be easier than that...
    The title of the video was something like "Everything you always wanted to know about soldering....
    I bet that equipment is pricey.....

7. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    I'd like to buy something that is going to last long.
    Would you please post a link, preferably from ebay as I buy a lot from there, for that Weller type of iron so I can compare price and feature with that link above (Hakko) it's Ok if it costs +/- $100

Thanks!

8. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
  9. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I use this model, fantastic piece of kit CS1

10. jerseyguy1996

Feb 2, 2008
    My Hakko FX888D is an absolute joy to solder with. Well worth the money.

11. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    What is a professional soldering iron?

Do you need variable temperature control?

A good quality Weller soldering iron along the lines of the W61 with a good selection of tips may be all you need. The cheaper SP25 or SP40 may also fit the bill?

Eric007 likes this.
  12. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
  13. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    That looks fine, but at $139 you can get similar functionality from many of the $60 irons. As long as they have digital readout and adjustable temperature control, and hakko compatible tips.

Personally I prefer 60 watts too if possible.

If you can get the right features in a cheaper iron the money you save buys a few tips and reels of solder. :)

Rbeckett and Eric007 like this.
  14. kbyrne

Dec 10, 2011

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    :eek:

I thought I had a good one. It's a Weller. Plug it in, go wet the sponge, eat breakfast, and presto! It's warmed up. Now I'm jealous:(

16. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    My 60W digital temp controlled no-name iron gets to set temp in 21 seconds, (solderable temp was about 16 seconds) I just walked out to the workshop and tested it. :)

Is this a race? Do we win prizes? ;)

17. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    I'm with the RB on this. Spare tips and heaters and a combo of resistors is still better in my book than a 100+ dollar iron that I will never fully exploit. The one you originally mentioned is the exact one I have and I think I paid 49 bucks with free shipping on Ebay Buy It Now. While I was shopping I also came across one with a 5 power magnifier and fluorescent light combo that would have been very nice, but I already had a hands free magnifier already too. So far I have had this iron about a year and I have not worn out the initial super pointy tip yet. It is a great way to stretch your budget so you can buy more parts and build more stuff. I am up to about 1000 lines of inventory now. You name a common part and chances are better than not I will already have it in stock and ready to use. Even Pots, multi-turns, Micro controllers and chips of all kinds. Ebay has a ton of combo and assortment kits that come in ESD packaging and are nice little stock builders for the new comer to the hobby. I'm still a new comer, but I am in no hurry to learn it all yet.

Wheelchair Bob