Professional circuitboard ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

My laser printer has a resolution of 1200 dpi (that are dots of about 0.02 mm).
How sharp do you want you picture to be?
An inkjet can not be used for the toner tansfer methode.
Then you have to use transparent foils and use the photo transfer methode.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You need to actually read the links we provided. The two I gave gave clear concise instructions on the subject. You must use a laser printer. A toner style copier will almost work, but generally there are distortions in the copy that will ruin the process (found this one out the hard way).

The second link I gave has an unusual etchant, it is half muriatic acid and half hydrogen peroxide. I'm going to try it myself, since the author claims it addresses a problem I've had in the past, where the ferric cloride tends to dissolve the toner a little, causing some spotty etching. I have no idea what ammonium persulfate is like, having never used it. I just got back from the hardware store with gallon of muriatic acid (aka, hydrochloric acid).

In all cases if the etchent is warm (not hot) it will work better. Figure about 15 minutes give or take for the process to complete.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Q1 All I am wondering now is what ink cartarge to buy for the printer?
Q2 Would a staples have the ink?

Q3 Wondering if toner is just another name for the regular black ink cartarges.
Q4 That you buy to print regular documents on?
:rolleyes:

A1 one that fits your printer.
A2 Staples does not sell "ink".
A3 no.
A4 what are non-regular documents?

Hipervids

Joined Sep 28, 2008
I dont know what the problem is with all these answers.

You already have a laser printer and this is what you need not an inkjet.
Wherever you get your solution from, ask them if they sell press and peel transfers. They will know what you mean and there usually blue sheets of paper type stuff but plasic to the feel.

Do your design on the computer. Print from your laser printer onto the dull side of the blue press and peel sheet and then iron the press and peel printed sheet to the blank copper side of the circuit board and wait 10 - 15 mins depending on the heat and settings of your iron and your done.
Peel the transfer off and etch the board in the solution drill the holes and build your circuit.

You can also just get a copper clad board, an etch resist pen like you said. Draw the design onto the board, etch in the solution drill holes and your done.

Its is easy and you can get good results but if you use the press and peel sheets and computer method then follow the instructions you get with it it will be a more accurate design especialy if you have ic's in your circuit.

The green stuff protects the bare copper after etching so that it wont corrode and you can also get variations of this from your electronics store if they are good :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The press and peel are a lot harder than the toner method, IMO. I've used both. One will take graphics straight from a computer printer and use it, the other is manual. I've also used a lot of sharpy drawings.

Staples photo paper has become a standard, due to it's smooth consistancy. I've used the special plastic, but it is hard to come by and expensive. It is easier to use, from what I've seen, but the photo paper isn't that much harder.