Processing crazy high frequency signals (like HD video)

diamondman

Joined May 23, 2010
I am probably jumping in too deep with this project, but here it goes. I am working on a project that will decode hdmi (using an ic such as http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA19977A_TDA19977B.pdf), modify the video stream with a microcontroller, and then re encode the whole stream back to hdmi (using another chip i have found).

As I looked up what i was getting into, i found that hdmi can easily go nearly 4 gigabits/s.

I can't understand this! Obviously some of this is overhead, and i understand why it has to go this fast (supporting 1080p and 8 channels of audio) but how can anything read those signals? Looking at some logic gates online I see some having very short response times (Reliable a few hundred megaherts for good parts), but they can't even come close to that speed (obviously the miniaturized elements in the chips are better, but there is a limit)! And the high performance chips like CPUs that can get to those speeds produce crazy amounts of heat.

So my loss comes from confusion on how a $9 dollar chip can decode this bandwidth into video channels without using hardly any power or producing much heat at all. And further more, how would i be able to use a microcontroller to read, let along modify the stream when no microcontrollers can go ANYWHERE near that speed.

TL;DR HOW CAN HDMI HAVE SUCH A HIGH FREQUENCY, AND HOW CAN CHEAP LOW POWER HARDWARE EXIST THAT CAN READ IT?

bitrex

Joined Dec 13, 2009
It does it through data compression. HDMI's signal frequency is only 340 MHz, which is UHF - vacuum tube TVs from the 1950s were able to process signals of that frequency without much trouble!