Problems with hard drive motor.

Simhau

Joined Dec 10, 2016
IMG_0242.JPG I got a couple of old 80g hard drives and I dont know how to Power the motor.
I tried to connect a 12v power supply to the hard drive as on the picture. I tried with two different hard drives and none of them works. I can hear a wierd noise when the power is connected but the motor is not spinning.
Does anyone know how to make the motor spin?

Attachments

Simhau

Joined Dec 10, 2016
Do you know for sure that the motor isn't damaged? The weird noise would suggest it is.
Welcome to AAC!
If i connect 12 v directly to the motor, it locks into one position as it should. This happens to both of the HDD motors.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think the motor will spin with just +12V. There is probably an on-board processor that provides commutation of the motor drive signals. It requires +5V to run properly and do it's job.

Simhau

Joined Dec 10, 2016
I don't think the motor will spin with just +12V. There is probably an on-board processor that provides commutation of the motor drive signals. It requires +5V to run properly and do it's job.
I tried but IT doesnt work
I wanna make something like this
he said that u can use 12 v power supply.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I tried but IT doesnt work
I wanna make something like this
he said that u can use 12 v power supply.
I guess he was wrong. I don't know how to help you, I just told what little I know about how disk drives work. A long time ago I worked for a company that made them.