Problems driving a ULN2803

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Kind of overlooked that. So driving the 2803 in series AFTER the LEDs and grounding them within the 2803?? Or just removing them....

Man, I think you're onto something.
If you want to drive two kinds of LEDs, then you should in parallel the LED at the output of ULN2803 and in series with a resistor for each LED as:
+V → Resistor → Red LED → output1 of ULN2803.
+V → Resistor → Yellow LED → output1 of ULN2803.

ULN2803 can be sink 500mA current, whatever is total or each output, they are the same, but you better only using it less than 1/3 of 500mA that it's about 166mA.

mangopuppy

Joined Dec 15, 2013
If you want to drive two kinds of LEDs, then you should in parallel the LED at the output of ULN2803 and in series with a resistor for each LED as:
+V → Resistor → Red LED → output1 of ULN2803.
+V → Resistor → Yellow LED → output1 of ULN2803.

ULN2803 can be sink 500mA current, whatever is total or each output, they are the same, but you better only using it less than 1/3 of 500mA that it's about 166mA.
The array LEDs are all alike, and will be in a parellel/series configuration. I would like to keep the LEDs on the perf if possible.

I was trying to tell you that in post #14. ;)
I realize that now, but didn't figure in cutting the cat connections on those LEDs as Scott posted. I'm confident the 4017 outputs will be much higher now. If I want to retain those LEDs as a monitor, I think I'll have enough rough voltage left after running the 2803 inputs in series with those LEDs.

There are days when you just need swift kick in the @#$ !!!!

There's another issue I discovered last night. While breadboarding the 2803 with two LEDs which will be in the final array, they lit up with no connection to my perfboard!! Now what is going on there? The layout was textbook. Do I have a bad breadboard???

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you want to keep the LEDs on the output of CD4017, you can in series with a limiting resistor from the common cathode of the LEDs to the GND.

You can also in series with a 10K resistor to each input of ULN2803.

Last edited: