Problem with my M-Audio AV30

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by avivo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. avivo

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi, I bought M-Audios AV30 A couple of years ago.Must say I was pleases with the product but recently they started to make a rustling sound, mostly coming from the left speaker. How can this be fixed? or is it a default with the product.

Could I get a free replacement :D

Please some one help I feel lost with out my monitors.

Checkout my work https://soundcloud.com/avivo-production

2. to3metalcan

Jul 20, 2014
    I've fixed more power monitors than I care to think about. :rolleyes: The rustling sound you described can have several sources...power resistors at the output, the chip-amp itself beginning to fail, bad capacitors in the voltage regulator circuit (or bad decoupling at the chip-amp), or, in one case I remember, a section of the circuit trace itself that had become resistive...the noise went away when I bypassed it with a wire! :confused:

How comfortable are you with troubleshooting? I don't know if you can get a free replacement, but a competent tech ought to be able to bust this noise with a little scope-work.

3. to3metalcan

Jul 20, 2014
    (Also, you can just open it and visually inspect the electrolytic capacitors...if they're bulging, leaking, or blown to bits, you've probably found the problem!)

4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Failing solder joints. Check with a strong light and good magnifier any solder joints on the PCB that carry power (larger tracks and power components) or show signs of heat and discolouring.

Then re-solder. :)