problem with MAX232 output

perzade

Joined Jan 30, 2011
Using any one out of two line drivers of MAX232, I m having incorrect voltage at Rin pin (pin 13 for line driver 1 or pin 8 of line driver2).For input voltage of 5 volt at pins 9 & 10, I get -8.9v at pin 7 but in mv range at pin 8. I rechecked ckt connections & even used other IC but of no use. What could be the problem?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Using any one out of two line drivers of MAX232, I m having incorrect voltage at Rin pin (pin 13 for line driver 1 or pin 8 of line driver2).For input voltage of 5 volt at pins 9 & 10, I get -8.9v at pin 7 but in mv range at pin 8. I rechecked ckt connections & even used other IC but of no use. What could be the problem?
Yes, circuit diagram please. Pin 9 is not an input. This is why you don't get anything out of pin 8. Because that's the corresponding input for pin 9.

perzade

Joined Jan 30, 2011
ya, actually I m only transmitting from uC AT89C51 to PC & that pair input & output voltages is fine. I thnk I should be able to receive data at PC

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yah, post that schematic please. You seem to have some pins swapped.

Also keep in mind that the TX of your device goes to the RX of your PC, and RX of your device goes to the TX of the PC.

Seems simple but I swapped em first time I wired an SPI interface. :D