problem with math forum

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Okay, now I am having this damn Captcha problem and on steriods. I am trying to write a blog on converting Boolean POS and SOP forms back and forth using just Boolean algebra. It started forcing me to do a damned Captach each and every single time I tried to Save it or Preview it. Since I often need to preview a post several times to get a LaTex block right, this is extremely annoying. I can post replies to other threads without having to go through these hoops. This blog post is pretty lengthy, so that might well be what it is triggering on.

But now I started editing the entry and put in a few paragraphs and wanted to preview some new equations. So I choose "Save" and have to enter a damned Captcha. Then I select "Go Advanced" and have to enter a damned Captcha. Then I select "Preview" and I have to enter yet another damned Captcha. Then it shows me the preview, at which point I discover that while forcing me to jump through these hoops, it threw away all of my new additions.

Bottom line... I have better things to do with my time then enter dozens and dozens of damned Captchas just because the entry I am working on is long, but still within the max limits. If you don't want people posting blog entries that are longer than a certain size -- then don't allow it! But DON'T make them jump through hoops when their entry is NOT longer than what is allowed!

And since I clearly can't count on being able to even successfully save my edits because of the damned Captchas, I am having a real hard time justifying spending any further time trying to contribute.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
WBahn, I am sorry you are now having trouble, seems common in scientific forums these days. For some reason ill intentioned louts seem hell bent on disruption, which I guess is why the captchas were implemented although something seems to have gone wrong there.

I can tell you that another of Dave's forums is regularly attacked by these louts filling it with unwanted threads often linked to 'advertising'. This taxes the moderators there as they frequently have to waste time deleting them. Though who would by a goods from anyone advertising in this manner is beyond me.

Anyway in the homework thread here you were helping someone over a boolean algebra question.

I posted a link to this other forum where I helped a member there and posted a long list of boolean results/rules.
You are welcome to this convenient compilation (although I'm sure you know them already).

Boolean algebra can be summed up with a handful of results and highly compact analyses made. But the resulatant jumps from line to line can be large.
So I find my list useful, particularly in the early learning stages as it take 'baby steps' at a time.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
WBahn, how is the problem going about at the problem? Do captchas still pop up everywhere? I noticed that you asked from Red Bow Tie to mount a correction for you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Everytime I tried to do anything with that blog entry is required a captcha. I gave up and posted the entry as is without working an example for the last section like I had intended to.

I had the OP mount the correction in part because I didn't go verify the actual problem, but only that what he posted was correct as he did it.