Problem with IC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by thavamaran, Mar 2, 2009.

1. thavamaran

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Hi Everyone, Im Thavamaran, currently working on final year project, im using a CMOS color sensor for my project, TCS230 from TAOS. When i was testing it recently, i mistakenly place pins the opposite way on breadboard, therefore my ground went to Vcc and output also went to Vcc, so then i realize and place it in a correct way and connect oscilloscope, i suppose to get square waveform with 50% duty cycle, but what i got was not square wave but some curve in square wave, some sort of noise.

Then i gave a break to sensor and try it back, it was workin, when i expose it to diffrent color and the frequency was changing cause the its a digital frequency output sensor. but after sometime, the sensor gets so heated up and there was no more output, then i give it a rest again and try again , it work for sometime perfectly and once get heated up, no output.

Please guys, i really need advise on this, what can i do?

Brgds,
    Thavamaran

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It sounds like it got overheated when power was misapplied. You probably need to replace it.

3. thavamaran

Feb 21, 2008
    Hi beenthere, is there anything else i can do without replacing it? Thank you.

4. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Check input voltage. Measure the current draw. Compare to spec sheet. Make sure circuit is correct.

5. thavamaran

Feb 21, 2008
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the advise, anyway i gave a day break for my sensor and it somehow working now, with perfect output. thanks again guys.