problem with hex downloader software

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by indianhits, Mar 18, 2010.

1. indianhits

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Hello guys,i am having a bad time with the 8051 development board which i bought.i purchased a Atmel AT89s52 uC and the board has only serial interface but when i went to atmel site to download the hex downloader software it says that i must have LPT(parallel port) to download the hex to the uC.So is there any hex downloader software by which i can dump my code to uC via the serial port

i asked my vendor about this.He said he will give the CD but i don't know whether he will provide me or not

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    If it's a parallel port programmer you need a parallel port. It won't be something you can fix with software to make it work on a serial port. How are you even connecting it to a serial port?

3. indianhits

Jul 25, 2009
    i have 8051 development board & it has only COM(SERIAL) port available there is no parallel port & i have downloaded many hex downloader software which supports only LPT(PARALLEL) ports so do you guys know any hex downloader software for COM port for ATMEL AT89S52

thank you

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Is your problem that you do not have a serial port on your PC?

5. indianhits

Jul 25, 2009
    NO NO!!! i have serial port in my PC and also in my 8051 development board.i just need a hex downloader software which makes use of serial port rather than a parallel port.

cause i have download many hex downloader software which supports only parallel port interface and not serial port

so i need anyone of you to please help me get the software which supports serial port hex downloading.

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Then you say downloader, do you mean bootloader? Something like this http://hubbard.engr.scu.edu/embedded/avr/bootloader/

7. indianhits

Jul 25, 2009
    i have a .hex file and i need a software which can erase and program the uC(AT89s52)

but i need the software to do this using serial port and not parallel port

i have downloaded some software and when ever i try to download the .hex file from my PC to uC it says that i need a parallel port ISP cable to program the chip.but my development board does not support parallel port it has only serial port

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Wherever you got your programmer should have software for it.

9. indianhits

Jul 25, 2009
    problem solved